View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
Nice looking bird!

I never really monitor my temp when I am cooking spatchcocked chickens. I just bank about 2/3 of a chimney of lit coals to one side of the OTG behind some fire bricks throw some chunks on and let 'er rip with the vents all the way open. I might rotate the bird once during the cook. I don't even put it under bricks any more.

Seems to pretty reliably be done after about 50-60 minutes. Next time I do it, I might put a probe in to see what my OTG is running. I am guessing it is 375-400. Next time, I'll see if I detect a different keeping the temp a little lower.
I actually use the Weber charcoal holders now only because they make it easier to clean up and save charcoal. Before I got the holders I used your method and it worked great. I did have to keep my lower vent almost closed to keep the temp below 400 sometimes, but not always. Man, I love my kettle! I wanna be buried with it! It's smoking a tri-tip for me right now as I type.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->