Buttermilk Ribs??? Huh?

buzzin

Has anyone tried buttermilk marinated ribs?? I'm very happy with my "normal" or traditional recipe but this guy was trying to talk it up. "The best ribs ever" was his quote. Wanted to hear everyone's opinion?

Interesting recipe from the web on this.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/buttermilk-beef-ribs-17274.html

Buttermilk Beef Ribs

4-5 pound rack of beef ribs, cut into 2- or 3-rib racks

1 pint (16 ounces) buttermilk. Please make sure to use the kind that has "active cultures".

3 TBS dark brown sugar

2 TBS cider vinegar

1/4 cup of whiskey (optional)

1 TBS kosher salt

1 tsp whole peppercorns

several cups of brewed coffee, as necessary, cooled to room temperature (de-caf can be used, if desired)

In a blender or processor, combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, vinegar, whiskey, salt and peppercorns. Mix on high speed until the peppercorns are broken up somewhat (maybe 2 minutes).

Place the rib "half-racks" in a high-sided roasting pan, or something similar. It doesn't matter if they overlap each other a little. If desired, a couple of gallon-sized zipper-lock bags can be used instead. Pour the buttermilk mixture (half of the mixture per bag, if you're using the zip bag method) over the ribs. Add enough of the coffee to the pan (or bags) to increase the volume of liquid so that the ribs are saturated. Don't worry about completely submerging the ribs in the liquid; that's next to impossible!

If using the pan method, cover the pan with plastic wrap, or foil. The bags can simply be zipped shut. Refrigerate the ribs for anywhere from 1 to 12 hours. Flip the ribs in the pan every couple of hours (or simply shake the zipper bag).

Use paper towels to dry the ribs, and allow them to rest on a platter until you're ready to grill.

Light the grill, and allow it to come to medium-high heat. Liberally coat the ribs (both sides) with your favorite Rub Mix, or simply salt & pepper.

Grill for about 20-25 minutes, flipping the ribs every 5 minutes or so. If desired, your favorite barbecue sauce can be brushed on during the last 5 minutes.

I think I might give it a try sometime, since there's always an extra rack in the cryovac.

Used it with chicken with good results.

I think BM is used as a tenderizing agent. It's used for wild game to help rid some of the gamey smell, but I thinkg it's also to help tenderize the meat. Sounds interesting.

Want my opinion? OK. :twisted:

First, I think some folks here missed that it's a beef rib recipe. Still, pork or beef, doesn't change my opinion much.

Sounds like dogchit to me. Plus coffee and whiskey? Why not just toss the whole bloody kitchen into a blender and pour it on?

Plus, call me stupid ... but, why process the lot of that? Why not just use fresh coarsely ground black pepper and whisk the ingredients together? Oh, wait, that would be easier and less "impressive".

If you want to tenderize your beef, cook it lower and slower.

Thanks for pointing out it is a beef recipe. I don't think I would waste all of those ingedients.

Here's what one should do with those ingredients:
  1. Make yourself some nice BBQ ribs using the ribs, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and vinegar.
  2. Drink the whiskey while cooking and eating your ribs.
  3. Make pancakes the next morning using the butter milk.
  4. Drink the coffee with your pancakes to help with the hangover from the whiskey.

1. Make yourself some nice BBQ ribs using the ribs, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and vinegar.
  4. Drink the coffee with your pancakes to help with the hangover from the whiskey.
^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::lol: LMAO

I too noted the reference to beef ribs but was still curious about the recipe and technique.
But when I got to the end and read the bit about grilling for only 20-25 minutes, I immediately lost any interest.

I think James at KuyasKitchen has put this in the best perspective.

(I do agree about trying the marinade on chicken though, sounds like it might be good.)

Want my opinion? OK. :twisted:

First, I think some folks here missed that it's a beef rib recipe. Still, pork or beef, doesn't change my opinion much.

Sounds like dogchit to me. Plus coffee and whiskey? Why not just toss the whole bloody kitchen into a blender and pour it on?

Plus, call me stupid ... but, why process the lot of that? Why not just use fresh coarsely ground black pepper and whisk the ingredients together? Oh, wait, that would be easier and less "impressive".

If you want to tenderize your beef, cook it lower and slower.

Thread Killer................:-D

We can say lower and slower...........and beef ribs..............LONGER. Not everyone does Q though. I agree that the flavors sounds off, but maybe the idea behind the buttermilk is for tenderizing so that you can cook them faster for those that want them done quickly.

And for the record, coffee and whiskey go very well together! Don't ask how I know.:-D

I have used buttermilk to marinade venison and elk and it comes out great.

My only input is to use whole buttermilk. Not lowfat or nonfat buttermilk. Don't just assume that it's wholefat because the container says 'buttermilk'.

Another thing is to not use the baker's trick of souring milk with lemon juice. It's not the same. If you taste that milk and real whole buttermilk, you'll slap yourself from the difference.

I went on a mission a few years ago to try to find whole buttermilk in the stores but I couldn't. They don't sell it. Online I found only 2 dairies in NYS that makes whole buttermilk. The closest one is Tonjes dairy in Callicoon, NY. They also make great cheeses. Anyway, I traveled to their closest distributor in Goshen, NY and bought some of Tonjes buttermilk there.

Not wanting to make that trip anymore, I bought some thick whole buttermilk bacteria online and since then have cultured my own whole buttermilk. One small vial of culture kept in the freezer has lasted me over 3 years, because I only make a half gallon every so often.

I love that plan! And what a great use of ingredients.

I have eaten some pork loin that was marinated in buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin, gp, onions, and other spices (don't recall all now). It was pretty good. It was marinated for 24 hours then grilled on coals.

Hardcore threadkiller indeed!:cool:

Back