Another fresh ham thread

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Or
My local grocer had some butt portion fresh hams out and I picked one up to cure and smoke for Thanksgiving.

I've wet cured hams before but my ? is, can I use pineapple juice instead of water in my brine? We like a lot of pineapple flavor on our hams and if I understand the brining concept correctly, the water in the meat is pulled out and the water in the brine is pulled into the meat to replace it along with the flavors that you are trying to get into the meat. Seems like pulling pineapple juice into the meat with my cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar would give the meat a nice sweet fruity taste all the way thru.

Anybody have an opinion on this. I plan to start my brine tonight and pics will follow.

That I bet is good but seems expensive. The wife buy cans and cans of that stuff for me.

My turkey Brine I have listed on here is hard with Brown sugar and apple juice and lower in salt and it taste good on turkey or hams so I think yours would even be better.

Hey Cajun...if i listed the lyrics to that song "gettin it on, especially the opening... you think anyone would tolerate it?

That I bet is good but seems expensive. The wife buy cans and cans of that stuff for me.

My turkey Brine I have listed on here is hard with Brown sugar and apple juice and lower in salt and it taste good on turkey or hams so I think yours would even be better.

Hey Cajun...if i listed the lyrics to that song "gettin it on, especially the opening... you think anyone would tolerate it?

If you mean the part about being her tree, as long as you didn't spread it over 10 posts probably so:icon_blush:

I found out that the juice was to acidic to use as a base for my cure brine, so I cut it to 3/4 water and 1/4 juice.

If you mean the part about being her tree, as long as you didn't spread it over 10 posts probably so:icon_blush:

I found out that the juice was to acidic to use as a base for my cure brine, so I cut it to 3/4 water and 1/4 juice.

No kidding!!! Sheesh.. not me.

Didn't someone on here write a post about fresh pinapple being not good and canned or bottled being better. What was the reason? I don;t remember.

Back