New BBQ Team Questions

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to congratulate all who competed this weekend, and for submitting the great pics!! Y'all have really put a fire under my butt to get things rolling.

A couple of questions,

First, I joined the KCBS, but what do I need to do to register my team for competition next year? My wife and I have picked a name, but we don't want to get a banner, t-shirts, etc. until we are sure we can use the name.

Second, after looking at the turn in pictures from this weekend, how do you get your meat to look so "wet". My pork is tender and juicy, but it does not look like the Brethren's in the turn in pictures.

Third, Phil, what kind of cooker/cookers did you use this weekend? We have about made up our minds, but I wan't sure if you used your BYC.

I thank you for any info you can provide, and as always, tips are very welcome, as we are jumping in with both feet. I hope to meet some of you at Dillard.
Noah

Well,
#1 -- You can register your team name here.
http://www.bbqteamnames.com/Teams_interface/Names/results_page.asp
But I don't think it's an offical site of KCBS. KCBS will let you know if your name has been used before.

#2 -- There's all sorts of tricks to that. Besides the obvious of putting sauce or mop on it. I've heard of people spraying pam, water, beer, etc on the turn in box. A quick shake of accent also helps the meat. I'm sure more experienced guys can chime in here.

#3 -- I'll answer for Phil since he's taking Sharon out to dinner, but we used a combo of the Klose Backyard Chef and Weber Smokey Mountains. Don't let the type of cooker you have stop you. People use every type including home made.

nmayeux said:
I wanted to congratulate all who competed this weekend, and for submitting the great pics!! Y'all have really put a fire under my butt to get things rolling.

A couple of questions,

First, I joined the KCBS, but what do I need to do to register my team for competition next year? My wife and I have picked a name, but we don't want to get a banner, t-shirts, etc. until we are sure we can use the name.

Second, after looking at the turn in pictures from this weekend, how do you get your meat to look so "wet". My pork is tender and juicy, but it does not look like the Brethren's in the turn in pictures.

Third, Phil, what kind of cooker/cookers did you use this weekend? We have about made up our minds, but I wan't sure if you used your BYC.

I thank you for any info you can provide, and as always, tips are very welcome, as we are jumping in with both feet. I hope to meet some of you at Dillard.
Noah

Go ahead and pick a team name - there are a couple of sites that will "register" your name but it's not required. You submit team name on the application. You should stay with the same team name all year but if you should pair up with someone else a couple of times you can certainly have another name for that team.

The gloss is another issue - saucing the meat is one key, glazing with a thinned sauce is another, a quick spray of apple juice just before closing the lid is another.

I wasn't there but I'm sure Phil had the BYC - he never leaves home without it!

You'll meet a butt-load of people at Dillard - It's a GA state championship so everybody is coming out of the woodwork for the shot at the Royal and Jack invitiations. :D I know for sure that Tim and I will be there, Kevin-HomeBBQ.com (defending champ), along with Jack's Old South, Britt's BBQ, Buster Dunn, etc. will all be there along with about 1/2 the class I was in this past weekend.

Thanks guys,
and my application did ask if we had a team. I just wanted to be sure that was all that I needed to do. As to the wet look, I kind of like my pork without sauce, so I will try some of these tricks.
Noah

chad said:
You'll meet a butt-load of people at Dillard - It's a GA state championship so everybody is coming out of the woodwork for the shot at the Royal and Jack invitiations. :D I know for sure that Tim and I will be there, Kevin-HomeBBQ.com (defending champ), along with Jack's Old South, Britt's BBQ, Buster Dunn, etc. will all be there along with about 1/2 the class I was in this past weekend.

Let everyone you talk to know it's your first time out. Ask questions and you'll get real answers. You may or may not be given the secrets to Grand Championship, but in my limited experience, everyone is willing to share the tricks of the trade.

Re: RE: New BBQ Team Questions

nmayeux said:
Thanks guys,
and my application did ask if we had a team. I just wanted to be sure that was all that I needed to do. As to the wet look, I kind of like my pork without sauce, so I will try some of these tricks.
Noah

Noah, a word to the wise: take "I kind of like my pork..." completely OUT of your lexicon. You are cooking for the judges and as a group they like sauce and they like it sweet. You'll see what I mean at the cookoff.

RE: Re: RE: New BBQ Team Questions

So do you actually HAVE to be registered with KCBS to compete in a sanctioned event? This thread is starting to confuse me. And when I called the royal today to ask how close to full they are (85% as of today), the woman acted like I was an idiot for telling her I was waiting for a registration at KCBS.

No, you do not have to be a member of KCBS to compete in a KCBS sanctioned event. However, I think, and Mr. Minon please correct me if I'm wrong, KCBS does check to see if your team name is in use by any other teams competeing.

KCBS does ask for team and head cook's name, this for team of the year points.
If you want shineto your glaze try a couple of patsof butter, it helps a lot.

Back