Is this a UDS or VPS?

M

markpmc

About 6 months ago I asked my father-in-law if he could find a 55 gal drum for a UDS. A few trades later and he delivered this a few weeks ago. A vertical pipe smoker built along the UDS design. It's already turned out the best brisket I've ever cooked.

2010-12-21083558_Mobile_Alabama_US.jpg

Pretty big. You can see the ball valve for airflow. Have 2 other 1' opening capped.

2010-12-21083325_Mobile_Alabama_US.jpg

Ash door.

2010-12-21083416_Mobile_Alabama_US.jpg

Charcoal basket nearly matches the diameter of the pipe.

2010-12-21083630_Mobile_Alabama_US.jpg

Lower rack sitting on the chrome support rods.

2010-12-21083649_Mobile_Alabama_US.jpg

Top rack supported by the lower rack handles.

It's pretty darn heavy, but will out last me.

A flat lid with 8 1/4" holes for airflow. It's hefty as well. The new lid will have one 2" opening.

That is awesome. I would put a 2" intake in so it could be cranked up to get it up to temp. Thats a lot of basket. For a basket that big I think I would make it bowl shaped(BGE shaped) so that the unburnt lump would keep moving to the middle.

I sure do like that smoker... what ever you call it.

Nice build!
I like the width of your basket.
Maybe a stupid question but if you want to remove the charcoal basket do you have to remove the rods?

Drifter - thanks. I've been unsure of what to call this thing. I just don't like 'vertical pipe smoker'; I'm goin w/ your idea.

UDS-HD

Trust me, having moved this thing by myself it's the 3/4 ton of UDS's :p

Good question, but regardless it looks cool and also looks like it works well.

All new meaning to "You can put that in your pipe and smoke it." lol. Nice lookin smoker.:thumb:

Back