• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket question?

checkrd past

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I ve seen the brisket they offer at Costco and was wondering ? The one ends of the cut seems very thin and I can t see cooking it for hours without drying it out . Do you fold it over?

Welcome to the forum. There are several threads concerning brisket. While I don't fold it over I know a few people who do. I like a lot of bark and folding ruins it. Brisket is super fatty and will not dry out on on the "flat" if you cook it properly. Use the search function at the bottom and you will find many posts concerning brisket cooks and the many different methods.

Look for a brisket with a consistent thickness to the flat. I do not fold, but you are correct. You will end up with varying doneness in the flat if you get one that tapers too much. Make sure you understand where the point ends and the flat begins.

Look for a brisket with a consistent thickness to the flat. I do not fold, but you are correct. You will end up with varying doneness in the flat if you get one that tapers too much. Make sure you understand where the point ends and the flat begins.

^ +1 good advice when looking for a brisket.

When I get a brisket, and I almost always but a packer, I trim it up.
brisket-folded.jpg

In the above shot, ignore the fact that it is folded. If you look at the flat (on top), you can see where I have trimmed off the tapered edge of the flat. This will end up rounding off during the cook. But, with the edge trimmed like this, I get no drying on the edges.

This site is full of lots of things, but lots of stuff to learn, for sure :p

Back