Inconsistent Rubs

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I always use the same chicken rub. So I ordered eight pounds of it and I have noticed my chicked is getting a lot of comment cards saying spicy and our scores have suffered. I tasted the rub and would you know it, it is spicy as hell. I have always used this rub for chicken and it never had a spice to it. Needless to say I will be using it for self consumption, no more comps.

Has anyone ever noticed this in rubs they purchase for comps???

I know this is pretty obvious, but is it possible that it just settled during shipping? Did you give it a stir from the bottom up and then taste it? If its still bad, contact the seller.

NUTZ

i mixed the chit out of it. The thing is, I love the rub for me with the spice so I will use it. I will just not use it for comp anymore.

We've noticed variations in some rubs from shaker to shaker. We recently came across a bottle of an extra hot version of a popular rub. I assume it's caused because the batch isn't mixed properly before being bottled because subsequent purchases have been fine.

Is the rub from a big distributor or a 'mom and pop' made at home sort of place?

I only ask because after formulating my rub for the past year I have gone through tons of pains in trying to make sure every batch is consistent.

Sometimes its a little saltier than I'd like, sometimes its a bit spicier. I havent been able to nail it down to turn out the exact way each time. Dont get me wrong its a within + or - 2% taste issue and I know I'm being too picky about my own product, but still everyone likes to turn out the best, consistently good product possible.

We've noticed it in one of our commercial rubs too - except it was overly salty not spicy - resulting in very salty pork for two comps in a row. Guessing it's not the same brand as OC is mentioning.

They have put out a great prodcut for a long time.

Commercial or not, I have noticed variance in prodcut, especially with pepper contained blends.

Its like having Jalepenos. You get one that's "meh" and the next one is Hotchamafreakin.

The same thing happened to me. At Wildwood, our ribs were pretty spicy. I used the same rub and sauce that I've been using for a year now. I don't know how to explain it. Needless to say, the judges didn't like it.

I will say this about rubs and competitions and running a business as well.

Spices are like the Colombian Coke market.

A). Rubs are made of Spices
B). with the exception of Salt and Sugar spices are better some years than others. Anyone that mixes a batch of rub up every month (say 15 pounds or more at a time) will notice that some spices may be more colorful than others even when in the same bottles.
C). Spice Companies Often Cut their Products with inert Ingredients or OLD outdated spices.
And don't think I don't do this in my Business. I will cut an old batch with new after I compare.

D) Companies that make Rubs for your BBQ ALSO do this from time to time. Not everybody but some do.
E). Even when everything is perfect Mother Nature can affect the base product. Peppers are the most affected.

So lets review... If you make up your own batch, you have mother nature that is trying to screw you, the original spice farmer that cuts his product, any middle men who cut their product (often with outdated Spice), the Spice Company itself and the company that makes the rub.

The closer you are to the source the better. No that does not mean buy it yourself but Mixing it yourself would help.

Sadly, those that buy someone else's Rub are at the mercy of whoever mixed it, bagged the base spices and farmed it, and of course Mother Nature. Sad thing is, by the time you notice it... its on the Judges Table.

Make your own rub (even if you are stealing their recipe). Control it! I ask you, would you prep those chickens, pop them in the smoker and let some stranger tend the fire while you go watch Jenna Haze in Taste of a woman? No! Why control everything then sprinkle on the most important element of taste and leave that to chance. This is why I think some competitors win with simple ingredients - because they control a few simple things instead of hoping 13 spices get their groove on correctly.

How did we get into this trap of using Rubs and Injections? The BUSINESS of BBQ, baby. You can sell a bottle of crap and make someone think they are going to achieve the same results some champion did a lot easier than have that champion explain his technique.

Of course any brethren that sells his product here at this forum... I am not talking about you.

So this begs the question, where is the best source for obtaining rub ingredients? Penzeys does a great job of marketing their products, but are they any better than say, McCormicks?

It is a very popular brand.

Why can't you name it? If it's popular, I certainly don't want to buy it if they're selling inconsistent product.

And maybe you'll get some action that way. Maybe that brand hasn't realized it

Is any kick at all too much spice for comps? I like my chicken rub spicy but maybe I'll tone down the cayenne for comps. Seems like the kind of person I imagine in my mind becoming a bbq judge would like a little kick. I've never been to a comp though so I have no idea.

Is any kick at all too much spice for comps? I like my chicken rub spicy but maybe I'll tone down the cayenne for comps. Seems like the kind of person I imagine in my mind becoming a bbq judge would like a little kick. I've never been to a comp though so I have no idea.
Like a lot of folks here, judging has helped me in my comp ventures. You tend to get a better idea of what other judges are deeming "good barbecue". I can say, here in NE, KCBS is about like any other KCBS event. The uber sweet, candied chix, sweet saucy ribs, sweeter PP, and a moist slightly salty brisket all do well. The smaller non-sanctioned comps, the ones where you get little or no CBJ's, the spicier foods can rate higher, but not always.

My point, you can see more of what others are putting out, and what is scoring higher.

txschutte,
How does one learn about judging? Is a class needed or do you just show up and learn on the job?
Thanks,
jon

Back