• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

JD Brisket judging video

Lots of quality videos posted by BBQTV on YouTube.
Notice the brisket that would not pull apart????
Never cooked one that bad, but have judged a few :lol:

We could start a whole new forum section to cover all the BBQTV clips :lol:
Great stuff.

TIM

I would be shamed to allow someone to see a brisket sample from me if it came out like that.

I am surprised that the cooker turned it in without sampling a bit first, I guess I'll find out for myself when I take the KCBS Judging class in April!

I've always wondered what it took for good comp brisket and apparently its moistness, tenderness and flavor

Brisket

Reminds me of an event down in Imperial Beach, think it was Surf n Turf 2005. I was cooking with Burbank's Bad Boys, Dave Klose was there to visit Gene. He was talking about a brisket that he had judged that day, he said he tried pulling it 11-12 times and it would not come apart. The way he was describing it had us rolling on the ground. Old Dave is a funny down to earth kind of guy. But his story was a hoot.

At an event that I judged last year, there were actually 2 brisket entries that could not be pulled apart.
I "Gnawed" and "sucked" a bite off of each and judged them accordingly.
Flavor was actually "not bad, but not great" the best I remember.
I gave them credit for flavor (and appearance), but was "honest" in my tenderness score.

As it happened, the Rep walked by just after we finished judging.
I picked up each of the leather peices and tried to pull them apart for him.
He just shook his head and moved on!

Now, if these folks had gotten cold feet and not turned in the leather brisket, they would have gotten ZEROS or something like that.
Since they did--they got full credit for Appearance and Taste (at least from me) and that may have affected their overall scores, side bets, pride, and all of that! :lol:

So, "If it is safely edible--turn it in" is our policy :lol:

TIM

Oh Yea!!! Even if it's crap , you still have to do a turn in!! Hopefully you do more than 1 Brisket in a comp. Turning in nothing is worse than turning in crap.

Take your beating and live to cook another day!!

Spice

I've had one or two of those types of briskets in the not-so-distant past. One was when I undercooked and the other I don't know what went wrong.

My last brisket sucked - bad! My only redemption was that I had some great sauce to mask the failure. :mad::mad::mad:

Tony

Can you say crock pot? Only thing that saved my first attempt at brisket.

Is it only me or is anybody else shocked at the appearence of a camcorder in the judges tent during a contest turn in? We've been told absoulutley no cameras during judging and I'm figuring this was just after card turn ins. On occasion the rep will let local news photog have a couple pics but that's all.
I went to the KCBS rules area and could not find it (not a complete set of rules) but I know it's been spoken to before judging starts.
What say you all??
ModelMaker

Seem like it was filmed after all of the cards were turned in for that meat.

Back