Found a use for a useless grate...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Academy sells replacement round grates under their store brand. One would think they fit Weber kettles, but they do not.

I bought one for the 18.5 OTG, and it was exactly one inch too small. :mmph:

I put it aside to return later, and you know how that goes. :doh:

Well, I am curing and smoking tasso today, and needed more grate space, but wanted everything to cook at the same rate.

Low and behold, the Academy grate stacks on top of the handles on an 18.5 Weber hinged grate...

picture.php

It is pretty darned stable, too. And, being one inch smaller, it fits under the dome of my WSM lid. :thumb:

picture.php

CD

Grate discovery! (Pun intended. :wink: )

I think I need to look up Tasso now.

Nice work, CD! I think I will keep my ECB grates around now when I trash that guy...never know, I suppose. :wink:

I am horrible about returning things as well ;) The one thing I tried to return in a timely manner was a bottle of Woodford Reserve I bought a couple Saturdays ago at Goody Goody. I got it home and found the seal was broken. I figured I would just take it back on the following Monday. Well, after a day of sitting in my car, I came out from work to a bourbon scented car as the cork top had popped from the heat and the full bottle soaked into my rear footwell. 2 weeks later and it still has a hint of bourbon :(

Taught me my lesson on quick returns :rofl:

Well I guess it's not really a useless grate any more.
Whats with the swing down thing on the weber grate?

Glad it wasn't a "useless IN-grate!"

I appreciate the info because that would serve well for multiple layers of appetizers...ABTs, Moinks, candy bacon, etc...

Great job CD. I'ts nice when something like that happens.

Those are the upgrade grates. They come standard on the OTG's and the Performers.

Matt
Thanks Matt I was thinking wsm for some odd reason.

Looks like I'm already there:oops:
May be a long night in the penalty box

Gumbo, shrimp and Tasso jambalaya, red beans and rice, wow...I need to make some Tasso!

Looks like a great start!

From some internet site?.......

"Tasso ham is a specialty of south Louisiana cuisine. It is a spicy, peppery version of smoked pork made from the shoulder butt. In this case, "ham" is a misnomer, since tasso is not made from the hind leg of a pig. This cut is typically fatty and, because the muscle is constantly used by the animal, has a great deal of flavor. The butt, which will weigh 7 to 8 pounds, is sliced across the grain into pieces about 3 in / 7.5 cm thick. These are dredged in a salt cure, which usually includes nitrates and sugar. The meat is left to cure briefly, only three or four hours, then rinsed, rubbed with a spice mixture containing Cayenne pepper and garlic, and hot-smoked until cooked through. Though tasso may be eaten on its own, it is more often used as part of a flavor base for stews or braised vegetables. It is used in dishes ranging from pasta to crab cakes, soup to gravy. Appropriate to its roots, tasso is most often found in recipes of southern or Cajun/Creole origin, such as jambalaya."

Back