• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brethren Magazine Help

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

We are wrapping up issue 6. We just have some finishing touches to add. I hope to have Phil all the pages by tonight.

Our next issue is our competition issue. We would like to have it serve as a primer for competitions, and that includes reviews of products that competitors need for cook-offs.

What items do you think are most integral to your competing and what brands of sauce/rub are most popular on the circuit?

I'm thinking of canopies, coolers, knives, camp chairs, airflow devices, injectors and thermometers. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Eric

generators, portable water heaters, charcoal/pellets/fuel, portable tables

Those are a few I can think of.

Tables, beverages other than beer like gator aid for a hot comp, fans, there are things that you can put around your neck to help reduce body temp
Thanks for your work on the mag. it is really good

U only need 3 things

A pit

IMG_0936.jpg

A trailerrrrrrrrrr

IMG_0941.jpg

A team!

IMG_1123.jpg

Whats this i hear about downsizing? :confused:

@Phil - Well, some chicken, ribs, pork and brisket usually help. : )

Does anyone have recommendations on popular and/or winning rubs, sauces, injections that should be reviewed for the comp issue?

Eric

Does anyone have recommendations on popular and/or winning rubs, sauces, injections that should be reviewed for the comp issue?

Eric

Nope.

The Que needs to taste good to you / the competitior. If you dumb some of this stuff down, what tastes good at the family reunion will translate across competiton.

You may never win the Jack without some modifications but bottom line is create your own rub, buy some off the shelf, mix 'em together, figure out what tastes good and turn it in.

I think a better focus would be what other items are needed.

Just my.02, YMMV, of course.

Lots of napkins, towels, baby wipes are a quick way to clean hands
research the web for rub ideas, there are tons. Do not use bed bath & beyond injectors...go commercial grade
& and surround your canopy with some sort of enclosure=privacy, & protection from the elements (don go bare, it could get ugly)

oh, & some sort of sytem to keep the canopy down (bungees to a cooler, wieghts, or whatever)----gotta watch that wind, ask purple turtle from last years willie pallooza...oooooyyyy, thank god they were in the bar LOL
it probably looked right side up anyway when they came out LOLOLO:roll:

Smokin' Guns, Blues Hog and FAB injections.

@Phil - Well, some chicken, ribs, pork and brisket usually help. : )

Eric

pvc pipe table leg extensions to raise the table up so you don't bend over and break the "old" back. Just saying....

Notepad and several pens/pencils.
Flashlight and or headlamp with extra batteries.

Things that are a must:

NOTE: I keep things simple as I have to get everything in my car....

Disposable Cutting Boards (Smoky Mountain Smokers or oem)
Tongs (I have several and then throw them in ziploc so I do not have to wash)
PVC table leg extensions or tables from Sams with extendable legs
Welding gloves ( I use wsms and even the cheapest welding gloves are a blessing when having to tear now the wsm when hot)
Aluminum pans from sams or other clubs--Best money ever spent $6-$8 bucks for half hotel and hotel sized pans... Makes indivudual pans disposable
18" HD foil from Sams (or other clubs). Grocery store foil is ridiculously expensive. Get the bigass (500ft) roll and be good for a long time
Have a spray bottle with apple juice. it can be used from spritzing products on the cooker to finishing a turn in box
Thermapen...I love my TP. It is expensive but I would buy one of these before buying a guro or stoker.

Spices and rubs:
If I had to, I feel like I could finish top half in a comp, all 4 categories with:
Smokin Guns Hot
BluesHog sauce Reg
Slabs Kyle
Dizzy pig reg.
Head County sauce Reg

Good luck on the article,
DanD

Oh, Slabs Stephie Style? You could also add Butcher's Injections, I heard that stuff is good as well. Got some other good products.... ;)

Hey I was keeping this from being a paid commercial, but you started. I like a different rub than you.:becky:

Back