A question for those that don't like mustard....

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
How do you eat your burgers and hot dogs?

This is a serious question. What is your favorite or at least standard toppings for A- hamburgers and B- hotdogs?

I'm interested as my wife has a serious problem with mustard and vinegar...and pickles(I asked if she REALLY was from North Carolina:wink: ). As in if I want to make a mustard sauce it better be done and gone(the smell) before she gets home. She loves burgers and dogs, but they generally look like vehicles to carry cheese and chili than they are burgers and dogs. Was wondering if other folks that have the same problem eat theirs similarly or if they just simply omit them and eat all the other toppings.

For burgers it's HFCS free ketchup then anything else I can think of usually no mustard however a dog must have mustard and no ketchup.

For burgers, it's leaf lettuce, tomato, and a slice of onion. Maybe some mayo. A quality fresh ground meat, 80/20 mix, cooked medium rare, is a must for flavor.
For hot dogs, bean less chili and onions, or sauerkraut. But it has to be a good quality dog, all beef.

My favorite way to enjoy a burger is a light slather of mayo on the bottom bun followed by a six ounce patty heavily seasoned with S+P, topped with american or cheddar cheese, then a little squirt of ketchup. I do many other things ranging from LTOP to eggs, potato chips, whatever. But I find myself wanting that stripped-down version often, especially when I got my hands on a good grind/mix of meat.

For dogs anything goes, including just ketchup. I prefer new york style or chili. But it's all good.

Lantern, I do sympathize with your wife.

I am the king of I don't like anything. Tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, olives and pickles, pretty much all condiments I don't like them. I will however eat steak sauce, bbq sauce, salsa and anything with tomato sauce. I also like vinegar. Hell I even eat potato salad dry.

On hamburgers I like cheese, lettuce and onion with bbq sauce if available. For hot dogs I go with cheese and onions and bbq sauce if available. I do like hot dog sauce.

My wife also has a thing against vinegar. I have to make two different types of potato salad, cole slaw, anything that is vinegar based.
We have all sorts of fancy vinegars, which she uses sparingly in her dishes. I go through cider vinegar by the gallon.
It all evens out. She loves capsaicin, to the extent that I can't eat what she cooks. In the end, it's a minor thing. We've been married since 1979, and are still learning. I made too vinegary a salad just this past weekend. She went into the kitchen and made her own, and did I hear about it!

If you have never heard of or tried HP sauce, I'd give it a try. It's a steak type sauce made in the UK but readily available in the US. Sometimes you have to go the the international food isle to find it. I can't imagine a dog or burger without mustard, but HP might be your solution.

Every thing will be fine ,as long as she doesn't complain about your beer drinking or love making.:wink:

if you can get you hands on the Disaster Bay Chilli company's spicey Kasoundi relish it will send any burger to the superstar league. Their chilli wine also makes for an interesting addition to marinades as well

Ketchup and relish on a dog if mustard isn't possible. Blasphemy, I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Burgers don't need mustard anyway. Mayo works, as does BBQ sauce.

A wiener without mustard? Hmm, not sure that is legal? Chili cheese is good along with sweet relish.

Some time ago after I was married, my wife got me doing ketchup and mayo on a burger, along with your other stuff. Your wife prolly wouldn't like A-1 but I also like it on a burger.

In my oh so very small circle of life, they call me the ketchup kid .... literally. So that almost washes out my opinion as I am very biased. :-D

I love chilli and cheese on a dog but if that's not possible, I do go for ketchup and relish every time.

Burgers, I do bacon and a quality cheese and a decent BBQ sauce. I will on occasion add a dab of mayo ONLY if it's Kraft. I won't use Miracle Whip or Hellmans.

Depends on my mood. Eat mustard on burgers, hot dogs, and sometimes even fries. I also tend to eat a lot of stuff with ranch as a dipping sauce. lol. To be honest there isn't many things I won't eat except a pop tart. I can't stand them things. Lol

On burgers it's cheese and nothing, sometimes ketchup, sometimes ketchup and mayo.

On hot dogs it's ketchup or nothing.

I'm a very picky eater.

If the meat is up to quality, condiments are not really needed. I've eaten a lot of burgers with just a slice of onion. With great contentment. And some chips.

Back