PP,Ribs, Deer -- Smoke and Process -- mega pron

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've posted any pics. We've had rain and assuming the burn ban is lifted, I headed down to RD and picked up a couple of butts and 3 STL racks.
Fired up the cooker and rubbed the meat with Adobo followed by Plowboys Yardbird on one and Dixie Meat Co's Pork rub sampler on the other - great flavor profile - :clap2:.

PP_Ribs01.jpg

Waited for the thin blue and put the butts on the bottom rack at about 250.

PP_Ribs02.jpg

About 5 hours in I panned and foiled the butts and put the ribs on the top rack.

PP_Ribs03.jpg

PP_Ribs04.jpg

A deer dropped by to see what was up. :rolleyes:

PP_Ribs05.jpg

I ran the temp to about 275. The gasket mod on the WSM has exceeded my expectations. In addition to extremely stable temps, I find that after opening the pit to add meat or whatever it zips back to temp real fast and stabilizes. I pulled the meat around 3.5 hours later. The ribs had good bend but were not tearing, the butts probed like butta.

PP_Ribs06.jpg

PP_Ribs07.jpg

After an hour or so I broke down the butts just enough to get them in a pan, and wrapped the racks in foil. They went in the fridge for the night. The next morning I made some sauce from the defatted pan drippings (it's the solid blocks in the pot) and pulled the pork. The night in the fridge worked well. I was able to remove a lot of fat I might have otherwise missed. Then I sauced them. I also cut the ribs in to three bone and two bone portions.

PP_Ribs08.jpg

PP_Ribs09.jpg

PP_Ribs10.jpg

PP_Ribs11.jpg

PP_Ribs12.jpg

I portioned the pp in to three sizes. Two pounds for chile, 1 lb for when the kids come over, and 1/2 pound for personal consumption (2 servings). Then I vacusucked the works and put it up.

PP_Ribs13.jpg

PP_Ribs14.jpg

It was a lot of work but I'll be in hog heaven for a while. Thanks for looking. Sorry about the deer.

Last edited:
Nice looking cook. I have a bunch of those critters in my neighborhood. They're eating all my plants.

lol I thought you meant venison was on the menu! :oops:
Everything looks fantastic! Even the deer. :becky:

Back