UDS lid

Garth57

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the high temp rope to seal with? I have a weber dome lid I'm using on my 30 gal. drum. There's about 1/4" gap all around.

A stove shop, probably not many of those in SoCal, but try an Ace Hardware.

Are you willing to sacrifice the kettle to appease the Drum Gods? You can cut the top lip off the bowl and make a flange to sit in the drum for the lid.

100_2247.jpg

100_2083.jpg

100_2085.jpg

100_2106.jpg

It'll give you a nice seal.

Sounds better than my idea. Thanks. The weber I mentioned is actually a cheap Kingsford from Home Depot that was $30. I don't mind cutting into it. I grew up in Bellingham, moved to socal and have made frequent trips to Bothel for work the past few years. Go Dawgs!

I can't remember if yours was an open or closed drum? I use the flange on the closed drums that I've cut the top off inside the rim and they fit nice and snug. You don't really need them on the 55 gal barrels, but I find they keep the condensation and greasy buildup from dripping on the outside. But I also have them for the open drums and some of them I've used Permatex silicone gasket to make a tight seal when I use the Weber lid.

100_1644.jpg

It's removable so I can use either lid.

Give a shout if you make it up this way!

swamprb If you flaten the top lip of the barrel, verticaly with a hammer and dolly, will the weber lid fit?

swamprb If you flaten the top lip of the barrel, verticaly with a hammer and dolly, will the weber lid fit?

These closed drums will accept a Weber lid without the flange, but I have had some that did not.

keep in mind that the drum in question here isa SMALLER 30 gal drum

Got it! I have been keeping an eye out for some small drums, and lets just say that I have a couple Smokey Joes and a Bar-B-Kettle that will have a date with a cutoff tool!

Back