• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jambo Backyard vs. Horizon Marshal vs. Lang

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am long-term planning for an offset smoker to use for my own enjoyment. I'm not competing and likely won't move it much if at all. I've looked at offset smokers at sporting good stores that are in the $400-$600 range and I just feel they aren't the quality that I would enjoy. It seems around $2000 is the entry point for an offset smoker with a 24" diameter chamber that's 4' long or so. I want something made of heavy enough steel and air tight so that regulating temp won't be that tough.

I have suspected (hoped) that the Jambo Backyard smoker at $1895 would be a really high quality smoker. That's the base price... what options are available and what realistically is the "out the door" price? I've also seen the Horizon Marshal Backyard which has roughly the same measurements. The Lang 48" patio is the same size chamber, but with reverse flow and a smaller firebox.

Is there another smoker I should be considering? Anybody know if one of these is more fuel efficient than the other or easier to control temps? What other considerations am I missing?

First thing that comes to mind is shipping cost. You're in Texas, and there are quite a few great pit makers in Texas, so no need to pay to have something shipped in from another state IMO. From what I understand, Horizons and Langs are mighty fine, but in your state you have Jambo, Klose, Gator, Pitmaker, and others.

Your idea of spending the $$ it takes to get heavy metal is a very good one btw - you will not regret that decision.

Jambo is by far the best stick burner made, IMHO. There really are no options to a backyard so the base price is the out the door price.

I have a yoder whichita which is very similar to the horizon.

I LOVE IT...and would highly recommend it.

I would recommend the tuning plate or whatever they call it...it works great and eliminates the hot spots.

I have a Lang 36" with a 30" char grill and a warmer box above the fire box. The char grill is great with removable tuning plates. The smoker and char grill are all in the same tube which makes it easy to maintain side to side constant temps in the smoker side by building a small fire in the char grill using 1/2 a chimney of lump. The warmer box above the fire box runs about 25-50 degrees cooler and is great for smoking brauts, sausage, salmon, boudin, or cooking your baked beans. it has baffles you can open to redirect the smoke through the box if needed. The warmer box helps by insulating the top of my firebox too and is wood saver. All the cookers mentioned are quality pits but the reverse flow with the welded plate underneath is great for butts, ribs, any pork item that cooks a lot of fat off. $1899 with stainless steel racks. The bad part was the $500 freight from the coast of Georgia to Northwest Arkansas. I'm just a back yard guy but this cooker will last me the rest of my life. I've wore out a couple of webber bullets and an offset POS type smoker. I wish I had purchased a quality pit years ago.

I loved my Jambo when I had it. Jambo and Lang aren't in the same league build quality wise. Insulated firebox is standard on little Jambo. As far as options, you would want the 3rd upper rack on the side closest to the stack and casters to move it(those might be standard). I've never seen a Horizon or a Gator up close so I can't comment on those.

UUUUUhhhhh I am going to Granbury next weekend to pick up my first new smoker. I can not imagine not calling Billy with R and O smokers if I lived in the same town.

Top notch build quality and right down the street. Jambo would be my second choice, all things considered.

A Lang 48 deluxe trailer would fit your needs and you will never have to buy another smoker ever!!:wink:

You'll be glad you did :thumb:

Lyfetyme offsets are all over Texas. The problem I have living in Texas is not picking one smoker/cooker but keeping it under 15. 15 is the number my wife said she will make an appointment with a counselor specializing in OCD. Serious.
Lyfetyme are heavy will last a life time and come in many configurations. But I agree with previous post that if you have a custom pit maker near you that can build a pit "just for you" that would be cool having your initials in the serial number.

My brother has a 9 grand custom Klose with his name all over it. Pretty cool. No Very Cool awesome machine. A masterpiece actually.
But I can cook better and easier (family taste test not scientific) on my Pit Barrel Cooker. His came on a semi, My wife can load the PBC in her Truck and deliver it to me ;-)

Guess what I'm saying is goodness dude (and dudettes) lots of choices in the lone Star State.

I'm similarly situated to the OP and will be in the market soon. No comps, just want a quality backyard setup.

Are there any local options in KC that stand up to (or close to) Jambo, Lang, et al?

UUUUUhhhhh I am going to Granbury next weekend to pick up my first new smoker. I can not imagine not calling Billy with R and O smokers if I lived in the same town.

Top notch build quality and right down the street. Jambo would be my second choice, all things considered.

I've lived in Granbury 41 years and had no clue this place even existed. I'll definitely be checking them out in person. May be out of my price range, though... those pits are pretty amazing.

I'm similarly situated to the OP and will be in the market soon. No comps, just want a quality backyard setup.

Are there any local options in KC that stand up to (or close to) Jambo, Lang, et al?

Yoder is not far from kc...

Why do people recommend a trailer smoker when the op specifically stated a backyard, non comp smoker?

Back