• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

new to me grill and smoker

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
:clap: my nephew has done " a little upgrade " end quote. he found a BGE on a craigs list kind of thing in the Liberty , mo. area. the unit has evrything u can put with the thing --for 500. A score? Seems to me it was , and hardly used. Now my 2 questions are as follows. He wants to sell his chargriller --propane on one side and wood/offset on the other for 125. Is that a good deal? and , CAN u use it as a stick burner? I can live with using charcoal w/ small slabs of wood. I have a source to get Oak at 100 per cord , and 50 a half cord for cherry. What do u think Brethren--he paid 299 for it and 69 for offset section!:shocked:

Doesn't sound like a terrible deal for the Char-Griller. My neighbor bought one to try to keep up with me :)laugh:) and he loves the combo. He doesn't have the side box but loves using both Gas and Charcoal to cook for his family. For $125 it wouldn't be a bad purchase, given that you have enough space for it. As for using it as a stick burner, I wouldn't. I would stick to charcoal since that is what its designed for. You could try burning majority charcoal with a split of wood on top but I wouldn't do straight wood.

I have the duo and love it. I use lump and wood in my side box. Only problem is figuring out the temps. There are plenty of resources out there to hep modify the unit to hold and maintain temps better. Biggest trick is to get the unit sealed tight. Otheriwse, it does lose a lot of heat. I also added additional therms. to each door.

I have to duo and yes you can use it as a stick burner. I would suggest modifying it if you do get it. Seal the lid, additional thermometer, lower exhaust, etc. Also keep an eye on the rust. I had mine covered and out of the elements and it still started to rust on my pretty good after only a year. If it was me and this is just my opinion but if your looking for a stick burner I would take the time/effort and keep an eye on craigslist and try to pick yourself up a older, thicker offset such as Oklahoma Joe, etc.

Back