View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Arrow Oak & Hickory Smoked Pepper Crusted Filet

The other day, the missus and I were going through the freezer, and found a hunk of meat we had vacuum sealed. We didn't know what it was at first, then we realized it was 1/2 of a whole USDA Choice filet we scored at Restaurant Depot a few months back. Thought I would put it to good use, so after it thawed, I rubbed it down with seasoned pepper and kosher salt. Added a touch of Lawry's on top just for kicks:

Meanwhile, I prepared the Kingsford oval for the usual smoky reverse sear, and added a piece of oak and some hickory chips:

I lit about 15 briquets in the chimney starter, then dumped them on the unlit briqs along with the oak chunk & hickory chips:

Then I put the meat on the cool side of the grill so it could take a nice smoke bath in the oak & hickory:

About 20 mins later, I turned the meat, and placed it closer to the hot side of the grill:

Once the internal temp of the filet reached 110, I moved it to the hot side of the grill so it could get a nice crust by evenly searing on all sides. I pulled the meat at 125 and let it rest for about 15 mins:

It was time to carve the meat, and while I was doing that, the Missus whipped up some of her world famous cheesy garlic bread and a salad. The meat cut like butter and was done perfectly:

Here are a few slices plated with the cheesy garlic bread, and the salad. Sorry, didn't make time to take a more formal pic with better lighting, but you get the general idea:

Thanks for checking out my pepper crusted filet!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->