500 Gallon Reverse Flow Build

speers90

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Finally got started with my 500 gallon reverse flow build. Started by securing a couple of out of service propane tanks, the 500 is for me and the 250 is for TTNuge.
picture.php

picture.php

Got started by laying out the frame. I was able to put some of that geometry I learned in high school to use! I might have had to google how to find the length of a triangle side by using a known length and the angle, but we won't tell anyone. Using 11 gauge, 2"x4" rectangle tube for the frame.
picture.php

From there I blocked it up level and started welding, and I ended up with a rolling frame. I should mention I took the easy way out and just bought a complete, ready to install axle. I knew I wanted 46" spring centers, 3500# and electric brakes, I found a company out of Georgia that shipped it to me via UPS, all I had to do was pick it up at the shipping terminal to save on the shipping.
picture.php

Here is some of the other materials I will be using as we progress through the build. First up is the reverse flow plate, that sucker is heavy! All the plate pictured is 1/4"
picture.php

Firebox plate and a some miscellaneous plate for intake wheels and the exhaust cap. I got a good deal on the steel, caught a 4 hour 30% off sale, so I decided to have them precut all of the plate for me.
picture.php

8" pipe for the exhaust.
picture.php

Fenders
picture.php

I decided I was going to spend a little money and get some entry level tools that would be needed to work with metal and do so in a somewhat efficient manner.

Picked up a Hobart 190 Mig Welder, running .035 wire with 75/25 mix
picture.php

Along with a Northern Industrial (Northern Tool) plasma cutter, I am typically pretty leery of tools like this but the numerous reviews were so good that I decided that I would give it a try. I haven't done much with it yet, but I did source out some drag tips via ebay and hope to give it a try this week.
picture.php

A cold cutting metal chop saw, I must say I was very intrigued by this so it was an impulse buy. Very happy with this purchase.
picture.php

Auto darkening helmet, how did I ever get by without one of these?
picture.php

Miscellaneous not pictured: new welding gloves, long sleeve welding shirt, clamps, flap discs, grinding wheels...

Looks like you're going to have some fun building that monster. I'm excited just as a spectator to see how it turns out. Good luck!

That is going to be a beast. I see you've been through some different smokers since we met :)

Great start, I'm honestly more interested in how the smaller tank turns out. Excited to see how this all ends up!

That is a fun start. Wish I was doing the build....... jealous. Look forward to following this.

Why such a monster sized smoker?
Last weekend I had to do 3 cooks instead of 2 because I maxed out the Meadowcreek TS250 so it was time to get the bigger cooker going. I typically do one cook a month and all my friends and neighbors jump in with orders so I can fill up a cooker pretty quickly. On top of that I do some weddings for friends & family. Lastly, I am starting to get some word of mouth private cooking (like catering but all prep and cooking done on site) referrals and you just never know how much capacity you might need for that.

Great start, I'm honestly more interested in how the smaller tank turns out. Excited to see how this all ends up!
Not sure when Trent will get to his build.

I'll be watching this. I take it you are proficient at welding? Been looking at that same welder along with the comparable Lincoln to learn on.

I'll be watching this. I take it you are proficient at welding? Been looking at that same welder along with the comparable Lincoln to learn on.

I can get metal to stick together, it might take me a little more time with a grinder than those Shirley fabricators but that's ok!

Plasma cutter doesn't work worth a crap with the drag tip and electrodes I bought from ebay, but when I put the stock electrode and tip back on I cut a pretty straight clean line so I think I will make it work.

Last edited:
That thing is going to be big. How come you went with a small frame? I understand weight of the trailer but with all that cooking you plan on doing it might be nice to carry a cooler or two on the trailer. Also not sure if the funds are there but this plasma cutter is sweet. Miller Spectrum 375. here is a used one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Spec...558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8aa334be. have fun with the build. wish my steel place did a 30% off sale.

That thing is going to be big. How come you went with a small frame? I understand weight of the trailer but with all that cooking you plan on doing it might be nice to carry a cooler or two on the trailer. Also not sure if the funds are there but this plasma cutter is sweet. Miller Spectrum 375. here is a used one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Spec...558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8aa334be. have fun with the build. wish my steel place did a 30% off sale.

Coolers all go in the back of the truck. Only other things I want on the trailer is the wood, a weed burner and propane cylinder to get the fire started. All of that will fit nicely on the tongue.

I think I will keep the plasma that I have, I was able to cut a nice clean line by switching back to the OEM tip & electrode. I just need to source a rolling standoff wheel because I don't have the skill to maintain a 1 mm standoff and pull in a steady straight line!

Back