Looking for Suggestions for a New Charcoal Grill: Must Have Adjustable Charcoal Basket. Currently Considering Hasty Bake and MGrills...

Have you thought of getting a santa maria pit?

I had one, but sold it.

I am looking for a grill that is enclosed, which creates an entirely different effect than an open air Santa Maria style grill.

This is the only backyard charcoal/wood grill I've found that thought of everything. I wish I could afford it. Bobby Flay uses one of these.
https://grillsandcookers.com/products/braten-1000

I've looked at that one myself and it's really nice though fairly small. For the money I think I'd go with one of the AZ BBQ Outfitter models like the boothill

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-7/

Which actually would be a great choice for the OP other than it's outside of the budget

I've looked at that one myself and it's really nice though fairly small. For the money I think I'd go with one of the AZ BBQ Outfitter models like the boothill

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-7/

Which actually would be a great choice for the OP other than it's outside of the budget

Also check out the Kingman with lid. Combines best of both worlds. You get a Santa Maria with v-channel grates and with ability to convection roast with the lid.
http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-10/

@ Moose - its a bit above your price range, but the build quality is fantastic on par with LSG.

Right now I'm currently favoring the M1 by MGrills. While it wasn't on my wish list, that this cooker can function as both a stick burner AND grill is a huge plus. And, it has adjustable charcoal grates.

Also check out the Kingman with lid. Combines best of both worlds. You get a Santa Maria with v-channel grates and with ability to convection roast with the lid.
http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-10/

@ Moose - its a bit above your price range, but the build quality is fantastic on par with LSG.

That Kingman Deluxe is a nice looking grill!

Right now I'm currently favoring the M1 by MGrills. While it wasn't on my wish list, that this cooker can function as both a stick burner AND grill is a huge plus. And, it has adjustable charcoal grates.

I like that option as well but isn’t it over your original price point?

If you decide you might consider a used HB Gourmet I’d consider thinning my herd if you’d be willing to meet up some place central.

Purchased my first HB in 1996, the suburban. Still have it and going strong! I've since purchased the gourmet model in 2015 but don't find myself using it much since only two of us and haven't entertained as much as I thought I would. So, I am a verified return customer of HB. I've really enjoyed the versatility and wouldn't choose anything else when using charcoal. I probably should sell the Gourmet to someone that will get good use of it.

Is your gourmet the all stainless one?

Both the M grills and the HB have pro's and con's. I have a HB but not a M1 or B2.

To address some of your requirements: to add more coals to the M1 or B2, you have to take out the top grates as there is no side door to add coals to the adjustable fire grate portion of the grill. The HB does have a side door that makes it easy to add coals.

The HB is not very air tight but from what I have read, the new model M1 is pretty air tight.

The M grills are built heavier than the HB. 10 gauge steel vs 18 gauge steel. This means the HB is lighter and is probably easier to move around but the M Grills will probably last a lot longer.

The HB has slightly more grilling space. 523 sq in vs 481

The M grills have a lifetime warranty vs 5 year for powder coated HB's and 10 year for their SS models.

HB has a long history of making grills if you care about that. Since 1948. I think M grills came out with the M1 in 2016 but were making their Texas shaped grills before that. I'm not sure how long the company has been around.

With all that being said, I would probably choose the M grills over the HB.

My question to both of you is how much does the HB leak? I'm OK with a little leakage, but am looking for a cooker that can hold relatively steady temps.

Also, how close to the cooking grate can you get the adjustable charcoal grate? It would be great to be able to get a really hot sear on large steaks etc, and for that to happen, it would need to be pretty close.

I like that option as well but isn’t it over your original price point?

If you decide you might consider a used HB Gourmet I’d consider thinning my herd if you’d be willing to meet up some place central.

Both the M grills and the HB have pro's and con's. I have a HB but not a M1 or B2.

To address some of your requirements: to add more coals to the M1 or B2, you have to take out the top grates as there is no side door to add coals to the adjustable fire grate portion of the grill. The HB does have a side door that makes it easy to add coals.

The HB is not very air tight but from what I have read, the new model M1 is pretty air tight.

The M grills are built heavier than the HB. 10 gauge steel vs 18 gauge steel. This means the HB is lighter and is probably easier to move around but the M Grills will probably last a lot longer.

The HB has slightly more grilling space. 523 sq in vs 481

The M grills have a lifetime warranty vs 5 year for powder coated HB's and 10 year for their SS models.

HB has a long history of making grills if you care about that. Since 1948. I think M grills came out with the M1 in 2016 but were making their Texas shaped grills before that. I'm not sure how long the company has been around.

With all that being said, I would probably choose the M grills over the HB.

My HB leaks smoke all around the lid and sometimes around the door. I've only used mine for grilling and for very short smokes of about an hour or so I can't really talk to how steady the temps stay. Mine doesn't seem to stay very steady but others say they can get theirs to stay steady for hours. Others seem to have issues with steady temps so it's basically who you talk to.

If you are on FB, the Hasty Bake grill enthusiasts group is a great resource and several of the people that work at the HB store contribute on a regular basis.

The adjustable grate comes up right under the cooking grates so searing is not an issue.

Back