Contest Announcment Ohio State Fair Rib-off, Columbus, OH

O

Ohio Pork

OHIO STATE FAIR

PORK RIB-OFF

You are cordially invited to participate in the Ohio State Fair Pork Rib-off to be held on Tuesday, August 4, 2009. The event will include great media coverage, crowd participation, cash prizes and awards for the winning teams. Ribs and pulled pork categories.

$3,000 in Cash Prizes!

To enter you must complete the entry form and send it to the Ohio Pork Producers Council along with the entry fee(s) by June 19, 2009! Entry forms and details can be found at http://www.ohiopork.org/Downloads.html. Ohio teams only please.
If you have questions about the Rib-off you may contact Heather Hetterick with the Ohio Pork Producers Council at 419-303-4667 (home office) or hhetterick@ohiopork.org.

application is already in the envelope and on the way out the door first thing in the morning....
Guess you'll be fast cooking at about 400F. I see check in starts at 7 am and both ribs and pulled pork are judged starting at 11:45 am. And it says pulled pork. And you need a minimum of 5 slabs of ribs for people to taste plus 2 bones per judge but no idea how many judges. Sorry but it's hard to get spares done in that timeline, heck it's hard to get BB's done in 4 hours and you have 4:45 including setup. BUt if any cooker can do it, an FE can.

No rules preventing it....I'd inject the butt for flavor then deep fry that sucker.
Plenty of time for the ribs if you smoke them for a couple of hours around 300 degrees then foil them an hour or so..

Not with my pit though...old boy takes two hours just to warm up the steel enough to start cooking on it (unless I want liquid smoke raining down on everything :p

Try starting fire with the weed burner it also heats up smoker........

No rules preventing it....I'd inject the butt for flavor then deep fry that sucker.
Plenty of time for the ribs if you smoke them for a couple of hours around 300 degrees then foil them an hour or so..

Not with my pit though...old boy takes two hours just to warm up the steel enough to start cooking on it (unless I want liquid smoke raining down on everything :p

I spoke with the organizer, and the butts dont have to be done on site, but, do have to be finished, and up to temp from on site heat. the ribs, if started by 7:30, no problem at all....sent off my check today......only 9 more spots available....

I am looking forward to it, but, who knows, it seems like it has been the same teams over and over doing the contest in the past. I can just hope to represent the KCBS and Brethren family well.......but, as we know, crowd and guest judges means cook it how _______________________?:wink: I figure I am not really out that much, will take the g/f and her son, hang out at the fair for the day, and not out too much money....and as long as I am smoking something, it is a good day.....:biggrin:

Back