• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I'm going to be experimenting with an offset small charcoal ring/basket design. It'll still be a direct cooker, just closer to the side of the drum and the meat will be on the other side with my lid drafts over it. I haven't seen anyone on the UDS thread doing this, and when I say small charcoal ring, I mean that I'll most likely be adding fuel during a long cook-not what we are all used to.

Trouble with a clased head drum is that the metal is kinda thin. It deforms pretty easy. Marks drum was Stainless and I would bet is thicker. Those numbers you see on the side are a type of DOT code18/20/20/12 (top/body/bottom/ring) These actually tell what specs. UN1A2/Y425/S; UN1A2/Y1.2/100

It seems to work on standard steel drums. Ashmont and I built one about a year ago based upon this approach. It also has a diffuser plate made out of the top we cut out. With a diffuser plate in between the basket and bottom, there is no heat to warp anything.

I'm starting to see more stainless steel drums like Marks coming available from some of the micro vinters in the area. There were a couple for sale and they were missing one of the rubber treads and problems with the ball lock valves, I was tempted and E-mailed the guy and he said they are used for part of the fermenting process yada yada. Still at $125 kinda rich for my blood, but I did get a decent lead on Oak barrels.

My butt's too dark

And my brisket is too. I've seen some mighty good looking pics of meat still on the UDS and they're a nice mahogany brown. My meats turn black. Not burnt or burnt tasting, but burnt looking. I don't use any sugar in my rubs and I don't mop. I also don't foil. I tend to run around 220-250 most cooks.

Some of my own thoughts include:

1) Too many wood chunks
2) Crappy lump (Best Choice)
3) Temperature spikes when my back is turned
D) Sooty flames from grease drippings.

Can anyone/everyone give me your best guess what I'm doing so wrong or suggestions on how to figure it out?

ThnX - BillyG

And my brisket is too. I've seen some mighty good looking pics of meat still on the UDS and they're a nice mahogany brown. My meats turn black. Not burnt or burnt tasting, but burnt looking. I don't use any sugar in my rubs and I don't mop. I also don't foil. I tend to run around 220-250 most cooks.

Some of my own thoughts include:

1) Too many wood chunks
2) Crappy lump (Best Choice)
3) Temperature spikes when my back is turned
D) Sooty flames from grease drippings.

Can anyone/everyone give me your best guess what I'm doing so wrong or suggestions on how to figure it out?

ThnX - BillyG

How much wood are you using? I use 2 fist sized chunks that last the whole smoke.

How much wood are you using? I use 2 fist sized chunks that last the whole smoke.
I usually use 4 fist size chunks in the "bottom layer" in the coal basket and another 4 in the "top layer" (offset 45* so they're between the bottom chunks). Oaks all I have at this time; have some hickory seasoning; begging around for some apple, peach, etc wood.

Here's the bottom layer
LayerCharcoalPlusOak.jpg

Here's the top layer (w/2 chunks)
SecondLayerCharcoalPlusOak.jpg

Beefy Goodness!

Brisket Packer, Corned Beef Points and a Butt

100_2696.jpg

100_2697.jpg

100_2698.jpg

Tri-Tip

100_2680.jpg

I usually use 4 fist size chunks in the "bottom layer" in the coal basket and another 4 in the "top layer" (offset 45* so they're between the bottom chunks). Oaks all I have at this time; have some hickory seasoning; begging around for some apple, peach, etc wood.

Here's the bottom layer
LayerCharcoalPlusOak.jpg

Here's the top layer (w/2 chunks)
SecondLayerCharcoalPlusOak.jpg

I start my fire first then throw 2-4 fist sized chunks of whatever wood depending on the length of the cook,

*****Two Thousandth UDS Post******

Just wanna say I LOVE the Drums!

Back