convection plate

marvda1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
your plates look grate..weld a little tab that will locate your plates, so if hot they will drop in the perfect spot

Huntin Smoke made this one for me out of a piece of 1/4" plate and a plasma cutter. Holes started out 1/2" and ended 1 1/2". They get larger as you go to the end of the plate.

SmokerMods1035.jpg

if i get tuning plates made, how wide should they be? 1/4 or 3/16 in steel?
i assume that since the bottom of my baffle is 13 1/2 in. olng that's how long the plates should be. how many plates? the cooking chamber is 40.5 in long. cost? if i go with the horizon convection plate the cost would be $60+ shipping.

in my small offset, 16" x 36", there is the fixed baffle which extends about 8" into the cook chamber, and then I have 5 - 5" x 16" x 1/4" tuning plates. Sometimes I use all 5, sometime just 3. It all depends on what's cooking. To learn how they worked, I first used all 5 with varying gaps between them. 1/8" between the first two closest to the fire box, then 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"+- for the ones further away. The idea is to let heat rise between the plates. Push them all together and the grate temp away from the fire box will actually be hotter than next to it. Experimentation is key here. Have fun!
Oh yeah, a local metal fab guy made up my plates and I paid him with a couple racks of babybacks.

My pit's chamber is ~40" and my plates are 1/4"T and 4"W. They work well. Anything in the range of dimensions mentioned will work. If you can get some thicker stock that will work too - plus it's adding more heat sink material to the pit as a bonus. Use whatever you can find cheapest and easiest. Don't worry whether it's cold roll or hot roll. Just clean any petroleum oil off of 'em and season with veggie oil.

Back