• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Pork Carnitas

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a nice pork shoulder the other day and wanted something a little different, so I tried Smoked Pork Carnitas.

I rubbed the shoulder with;
Brown sugar
Paprika
Ancho chili powder
Chipotle chili powder
Hot Mexican chili powder
Cumin
Mexican oregano
S/P
1.jpg

On to the smoker at 250 degrees
2.jpg

3.jpg

After about 4 hours, I put the butt in a dutch oven with, green chilies, onion, cilantro, and beef stock. This went back on the smoker at about 300 degrees for another 2 hours.
4.jpg

Pulled
5.jpg

And plated up on corn tortillas with home made pico, red onion, and fresh cilantro.
6.jpg

These were some of the best tacos I've had in a long time.

Man that looks so good. I did my own version of carnitas and after the pork was done on the smoke, I chunked out large hunks and tossed them into the dutch oven that had some hot lard in it, seasoned with the mexican spices and took it off to chop...amazing. I love carnitas. Your tacos look off the hook.

P1300174.jpg

That looks totally awesome. Wish I had some of that right now.

I melt it in a 12 qt dutch oven let it cook for a couple of hours

Looks great. Tell your neighbor to get rid of the gas grill and get a charcoal.

Your carnitas look awesome! My daughters 17th birthday party was last Saturday and she wanted me to make smoked carnitas, chicken enchiladas, and chile rellenos.

I rubbed a pork shoulder with Guajillo chile power, Ancho chile powder, New Mexico red chile powder, Cumino power, salt and black pepper.

I also smoked the pork shoulder at 250º with hickory and mesquite for around 4 hours then finished in a dutch oven with Negra Modelo beer, chicken stock, orange juice, Mexican oregano, garlic, and a touch of cinnamon.

My daughter and the guests at her party loved the carnitas but the best part is a friend of mine is a chef at a local restaurant and is using my recipe as a special dish in his restaurant this summer.

Very nice, and yup lard is the secret. I talk my pork all the way to pulling then just dice and crisp in lard. I also use pulled pork for tamales....your tacos look amazing, nice garnishments :thumb:

Back