Baby Back Slab Selection

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How do you guys choose slabs of baby backs?

I used to look for smaller slabs – under 2.25 lbs. Recently I’ve been getting shiners with slabs this small. I didn’t notice the shiners because the slabs were folded in the packaging. It's difficult to find slabs this small and I'm starting to think I probably just didn't cook the larger slabs long enough. Does size matter? :icon_blush:

I’m also not a fan of the “double bone” at one end. We tend to get those in the 3 packs from Sam’s. I find it difficult to tell when it is in the cryovac.

So what’s your selection method?

When you say "shiners", what do you mean? I'm guessing your results were too dry, but some clarification might help.

I usually buy my bb's at SAM's too because 3 racks usually is enough for the fam and friends with the other fixins. I haven't come across a pack lighter than 9lbs in awhile. There's always a thick slab of meat about an inch or so thick on the one end. I've been trimming them down with better results. The meat between the bones seems to be far superior to the thicks slabs above.

Shiners = bones visible on the top side. In other words you can see the length of the bone as it is not covered with meat. I'd imagine they got their name because the bones are shining through?

I have yet to go wrong with the IBP supremem trim ribs from Sams. The smaller rack sandwiched between the two bigger racks just cooks faster, the two others just take a bit more time imho.

Back