Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

The rest of the wood came today. Not looking forward to stacking it, but I guess with all the delays, I've got time on my side. :redface:

wl1y5k.jpg

I would stack all, or at least a big pile of that wood in FRONT of the restaurant, where people driving by can see it. If you want to sell genuine BBQ, you need to show off your wood... er, um, you know what I mean.

CD

A southern pride 300.

Why didn't you end up going with the Ole Hickory SSM you originally planned to get? Because of the delivery delay you mentioned? After your description of the poor customer service, I'm kinda surprised you went to them.

Love the tshirts! Great image with the pig. Any way we can order these as brethren? I plan to visit when I am in MI next, but would order one today if I could.

I would stack all, or at least a big pile of that wood in FRONT of the restaurant, where people driving by can see it. If you want to sell genuine BBQ, you need to show off your wood... er, um, you know what I mean.

CD

That's actually a really good idea. There's a great empty spot along the front of the building where I could stack a good half cord or so. Not only would everybody see a pile of wood, but it would cover up some of that ugly blue vinyl siding. :twitch:

Why didn't you end up going with the Ole Hickory SSM you originally planned to get? Because of the delivery delay you mentioned? After your description of the poor customer service, I'm kinda surprised you went to them.
That decision was not an easy one. What it really came down to was the inability to locate the smoker inside. There is only one place to put one, that model or otherwise, and unfortunately it would have required redoing the entire HVAC system. After speaking to a few different HVAC people, it was clear there was no way around it without spending thousands.

So, it all came down to a through the wall installation. Again, only one spot in the entire kitchen where this would work. And unfortunately again, none of the Ole Hickory units would fit in that very tight spot due to their dimensions.

Yeah, not ideal, but just one of those things that you have to make the best of a situation. And I'll even say it again, Southern Pride's support, or at least the people who pick up the phone when you call them, are about worthless. That hasn't changed. BUT, the distributor they pawned me off to for this region, he is the absolute best. For this part of the country SP is handled by Miller Scales & Food Machines, and I've got to say, Murray Miller the owner, is just outstanding. He's installed dozens of these cookers and will talk your ear off all day about them. He knows everything there is to know, comes out personally to set them up, and even gave me his cell number the first time I got in touch with him.

So in the end even if SP's support sucks, having somebody somewhat local who knows these cookers inside and out and will jump through hoops to make sure everything is working right is a great piece of mind. I can live with that.

Good Luck. I will be interested to see when you open.
I am a Restaurant business consultant for 15 years and a former business owner as well. Opened many and know what you are going through.

Good to read you have a distributor that knows the smoker inside and out. I frequent Greenbush brewry in Sawyer quite often and love their brisket sammie in addition to their many fine brews. They got a new smoker a couple of months ago and there was definately a learning curve. The first two brisky sammies I had after they purchased the new smoker were overcooked and very dry. Had to use a lot of sauce and extra brew to choke it down. They've since learned how to cook on the new smoker and the brisket samwhich is one of the best I've had. Best to straighten out the learning curve before you open the doors to John Q. Public! :biggrin: Go Irish, Go Green Go White!!

T
Michigan is evil! I went to Michigan State, so that's where my allegiance lies.

You could have a MSU beats UM eat free marketing promo.. It would generate a huge buzz with little to no risk on your part in the coming years.

P.S. Will stop in sometime when I go to Detroit (Anything south of 10 = Detroit)

That's actually a really good idea. There's a great empty spot along the front of the building where I could stack a good half cord or so. Not only would everybody see a pile of wood, but it would cover up some of that ugly blue vinyl siding. :twitch:

Just make sure the pile in front gets used and doesn't collect spider webs etc. I know many a person that looks at the wood pile to determine the BBQ.

I love your shirts. If you are looking for tips on marketing, try googling, "guerrilla marketing". Lots of inexpensive tips on marketing. Since you are so close to ND why not pull your smoker down there on a home game weekend and hand out free samples to the tail gaters.

So any status updates?

I wish. :sad:

I can't wait for this to be over. Builder hit a snag with the client they were working on before me, so we're another 2+ weeks behind on the remodel. Smoker is still scheduled to be delivered next week, but with the delay I don't know if the wall and enclosure for the smoker will be ready in time so that may even get pushed back.

I've got people beating down the door wanting to eat and I'm sitting here with my hands tied, so it sucks.

Well I hope it all gets rolling soon for you.
Don't worry the wait will make people even more excited when you get open.
Looking forward to seeing you on opening day!!!

I've got people beating down the door wanting to eat and I'm sitting here with my hands tied, so it sucks.
And expenses continue to accumulate. You strike me as having a pretty good handle on the business side of things so I hope you have planned some cushion in your schedule and can afford to ride this out or otherwise take advantage of the delay.

In the mean time we're still cheering for you! :clap: :clap2: :thumb: :whoo: :cheer2:

Just finished reading the entire thread. Very very cool idea to put this out there. I'll be watching the thread for your open date. I used to live in Plymouth and occasionally go back from time to time. If i remember, I'll make a point of stopping by. I've started a BBQ tour list on evernote to help with the forgetting problem! Regardless, I want a shirt! I love supporting smaller shops that put a lot of work in it...and it is a cool design. Good luck.

Edit: Make sure you are registered on places like Google Maps, Yelp, UrbanSpoon. I worked at my current job for 5 years before I knew about a hidden gem in KC was literally just across the interstate tucked away in a shopping area...and on the way home. I also use maps to find good places to eat when out and about.

Last edited:
Good luck with your restaurant.

I live about 2 hours north of Niles, in Grand Rapids. My wife and I have been known to travel for good food so we might have to check your place out when it opens. :mrgreen:

Good luck with everything, it looks like you are going to have a great place there! May all go smoothly from here on out. If there is a way to order your shirts, I would love to buy some and I hope to see your place one day. Good luck.

Back