Mesquite Lump?

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a 40lb bag of mesquite lump for 20$. If i use it for the smoker, how strong is the mesquite smoke gonna be from the lump? Does lump burn clean at 250-300 range? This is high quality lump. Average size is 2.5 in diameter by 4 inch logs.

thanx

it's too pungent to smoke with. but it's great for grilling steaks and burgers and excelent for any southwest type dishes like carne asada

John

It's true I saw a bag at Meijers, but it was a tiny bag...

I bought a 20 pound bag of lumb...

But I didn't buy Mesquite though!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's too pungent to smoke with. but it's great for grilling steaks and burgers and excelent for any southwest type dishes like carne asada

John
Sweet thanx. Thats what i needed to know. the only choice i have for lump here is RO from the USA. Now granted its good stuff but how long will walmart carry it for and its 7$ a bag now. i wanted to try lump for the smoker but honostly i dont think there is a flavor difference between lump and rancher hardwood briquttes. I mean it is the same woods, just in pillow form. haha. Hmm, mesquite might make a mean rotisseire chicken!!

I usually mix both lump and briquettes, (more lump than briquettes) RO is a pretty good brand. Not sure how long Wal-Mart will have it but I think it is sold there nationwide.
A side note on Wal-Mart, they use a pretty sophisticated warehouse system, meaning the more of any one product they sell it will automatically put in a reorder depending on the length of time the product sat on the shelf. So if the Wal-Mart doesn’t have it, check another one.

The rotisserie would be good if the mesquite was used sparingly or at the beginning of your cook or if you have an open rotisserie you should be fine.

John

I use it all the time, both for grilling and smoking. Not too pungent if you have a hot fire and burn it clean. Love the flavor but I always mix it with other woods when smoking.

When I used a bag of mesquite lump, I never noticed any mesquite flavor. I did notice a lot of sparks.

As for Wally World and their jacked up prices on our beloved RO, they will keep carrying it like they have for years. So much for roll-back pricing. :mod:

I like Mesquite, can't see how lump would be a problem. Some people just don't know what the flavor of smoke is. TEXAS STYLE! :clap2::clap2:

I use it all the time, both for grilling and smoking. Not too pungent if you have a hot fire and burn it clean. Love the flavor but I always mix it with other woods when smoking.

Hot fire and smoking? how does that work? lol haha

When you use it for smoking, how hot you runnin the temps to keep the smoke and fire clean?

thanx guys for the info

I usually mix both lump and briquettes, (more lump than briquettes) RO is a pretty good brand. Not sure how long Wal-Mart will have it but I think it is sold there nationwide.
A side note on Wal-Mart, they use a pretty sophisticated warehouse system, meaning the more of any one product they sell it will automatically put in a reorder depending on the length of time the product sat on the shelf. So if the Wal-Mart doesn’t have it, check another one.

The rotisserie would be good if the mesquite was used sparingly or at the beginning of your cook or if you have an open rotisserie you should be fine.

John

Ya, 7-11 stores are switching to the same ordering style. I work for NEC for all the 7-11 stores in USA and canada. Its a BIG transformation from one systemto another. it SUX. So i guess i will just have to go buy all the bags and say hey, texas has it on sale for 4.87 a bag.. price match. haha. But 40lbs for 20 bucks aint bad either.

I have an opportunity to get a 40lb bag of mesquite lump for 20$. If i use it for the smoker, how strong is the mesquite smoke gonna be from the lump? Does lump burn clean at 250-300 range? This is high quality lump. Average size is 2.5 in diameter by 4 inch logs.

thanx

I use it all the time in the Egg, but 40 Lb's is around $15.00 including Tax here. Go for it and give it a try, you may need to break down the larger chunks into a more usable size.

John

That is not really correct, it can be strong but never to pungent, unless you do not have the fire control right...:wink:

That has not been my experience. I have used mesquite lump from at least a half dozen producers and the smoke was not overpowering - even with delicately flavored items like mild fish. You will still get a hint of the mesquite but it is relatively subtle.

Much of the mesquite kick goes away when the make the charcoal. Now if you drop a fresh piece of mesquite on the fire that is a whole nother ball game.

Sounds like a good deal. I get my lump mesquite at Smart & Final, I think it runs about $15 for 40lbs or so...

Back