Bayou Classic Kamado?

So if I am reading right the lid is not ceramic also? I havent found any locally yet and don't want to drive an hour just to look at one. Any one have one and can take some pics of it all?

So if I am reading right the lid is not ceramic also? I havent found any locally yet and don't want to drive an hour just to look at one. Any one have one and can take some pics of it all?

The lid is ceramic. I was talking about a rain cap.

Are they made in the usa? so I can be proud to own one? I've looked and they seem to be a great value for my hard earned buck.

Are they made in the usa? so I can be proud to own one? I've looked and they seem to be a great value for my hard earned buck.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but it looks like they're made right near Jackson, MS where you live. Amazing.

I sell automotive equipment and over the last decade I have watched everything move to China. I get asked where is it made at least 30 times a day. Sadly, the stuff I'm getting from China now, is better than most of the stuff I can get from the USA. And cheaper too. :mrgreen:

One showed up for the first time last month at Lowes. I thought it looked as good as a big green egg. Same design as best as I could tell. I think the price was $699 with cart included.

Being a Native Mississippian , I'm interested! A handful of guys at work have the BGE's and XL's. I'll be the new envy when I tell em its from our backdoor, not that Georgia (BGE), is that much farther away.

I second having seen it at Orschlen's for 499.99, thought to myself man my TV cost just a hundred bucks more than this surely I can get wifey to swing on this bad boy, but no room for any more large cookers really....

A lot of new guys checking in on this thread.

I saw it at Lowe's this weekend and it really doesn't look as good as an Egg to me, although I'm a little biased. The ceramic had more of a porous look, but this is just my opinion.

One showed up for the first time last month at Lowes. I thought it looked as good as a big green egg. Same design as best as I could tell. I think the price was $699 with cart included.

hey, did you know the big green egg spring assist band, nest cart, and eggmate side shelves are made in the usa in rural wisconsin? and that the big green egg company is headquartered outside atlanta, georgia? :tongue:

^^^^^^^looks pretty nice to me. I think it could give the BGE a run for it's $. Would love to see one in person. I love those pizzas you guys turn out on your BGEs.

Well I broke down and bought one today. Paid $499 for it. I will get it uncrated and assembled tomorrow and post a few pics. I look forward to many years of use out of it. My question is do I need to do anything special to break it in.

Orscheln has it for $500? Does that include stand, cover, etc? I may have to make a detour next time I drive to St. Louis or Louisville....

dmp

Yes $500 is the grill, stand, side tables, and a cover. Oh and a wiggle rod :)

Sadly once I uncrated mine it had a gouge in the glazing and I had to take it back. No more in stock so I guess I'm going to a different one this weekend.

I just purchased one of these at Lowes. This is my first kamado-style cooker, so I'm still getting the hang of it. The first time I fired it up, I heard a startling "bang" toward the end of cooking. I presumed it was the fire bowl cracking, as I understand is expected. The next day I checked it, and, indeed the bowl was cracked. I also noted with some concern that there was a crack in the base of the bottom of the cooker.

The next time I used the grill it performed fine, but the next day I saw that the crack on the bottom had jumped the damper door and run up the side of the cooker. I contacted the manufacturer and they asked me to e-mail some photos, which I did. Within an hour they e-mailed to say that a new bottom would be shipped out to me on Monday. On Thursday I had a tractor trailer sitting in front of my house dropping off the new bottom.

So far, the grill seems to be performing well, and the customer service was top-notch.

I thought these were supposed to be made in Mississippi. I was in Lowes in Madison, AL today and they had one they had just assembled and it had those little gold Made in China stickers on the ceramic dome and bowl. Was a good looking grill and the price was $699 with the nest, shelves triple decker stainless grates. The nest actually looked pretty darn hefty. Much more so than my Chinese Grill Pod.

Updating my experience with this product so far. As earlier noted, after the first few times I used the grill, the ceramic body cracked. I notified the manufacturer, and they promptly trucked a new body. The firebowl was also cracked, and they indicated a new one would be shipped at the end of the month (April) when they got a new shipment.

I know firebowl cracking is expected and no big deal. Mine continued to crack into five pieces. One crack has actually been eroding, causing a chunk to fall out that I can no longer wedge back into place. As a consequence, the charcoal grate won't stay in and I cannot use the grill. The quality of the firebowl seems below the rest of the grill, and I wonder if there is a QC issue.

I contacted the manufacturer to check on the ETA for the replacement bowl, and was advised that they were still waiting on the shipment. So, for over a month they have no replacement part? In looking at the ceramic body they ealier sent me, it has Oriental language characters on the bottom, so I presume they are simply importing these.

I'm a bit worried about the value of a 5 year warranty (one of the points that led me to buy the product) when the "manufacturer" does not reliably stock replacement parts on a product over which I don't think they have any design or QC involvement.

Nice folks to deal with, and I believe they have good intentions, but I'm seriously considering taking advantage of Lowes 90 day return policy while I can.

Back