First try at Buckboard Bacon

Blackened

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
5 lb. butt, deboned and cured for 10 days w/ TQ and brown sugar. After curing -

buckboardbacon001581707.jpg

Sprinkled with pepper and smoked on the 11th day..

buckboardbacon005578429.jpg

Smoked in the drum with apple, and tried to keep the chamber temp between 160-180. About an hour and a half in when the internal temp. was 100, I made the mistake of opening the drum and flipping for even smoke and color, and that was a big mistake. I only had the lid off for less than 20 seconds, and the temp spiked to 220, and I was unable to get it below 200 for the rest of the cook.

Overall cook time was 3 hours to get it to an internal of 140.

buckboardbacon009574883.jpg

Wrapped and rested for an hour, before I put it in the fridge overnight to cool and slice tomorrow..

Pic's to follow in the morning..

man looks great ! can't wait to see breakfast pics! :)

Any advice on how to slice it? cross grain, with the grain, or does it matter?

Chris, looking good bro. The temp spike is not a problem but may actually help. From your first pic, start slicing from the top of the piece of meat. The grain is sporatic so just slice it and enjoy. You are going to be real happy with what you did!

Damn that looks farkin grubbin! I gotta try me some of that soon!

That looks fan-freakin-tastic. I would love to try it. Care to help me out with a more detailed recipe or point me in the right direction?

That looks fan-freakin-tastic. I would love to try it. Care to help me out with a more detailed recipe or point me in the right direction?

Well what I did is deboned a 5 lb butt, and dry cured it with Morton Tender Quick for a period of 10 days per the instructions here.. http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=117

Sprinkled with pepper and smoked it with apple wood to an internal temperature of 140. Like I mentioned earlier, I attempted to keep the cooking temps low, but I had a hard time keeping it below 200 for an extended period of time, but honestly, I don't think it resulted in any ill effects.

You'll find some good information here, http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html ,as well as with the forum search function.

Good luck!

Nicely done that some good looking bacon.....mmmmmmm.........mmmmmm

Back