Competition ribs

IMHO I like St. Louis cut spares. I don't like baby backs because I have gotten bone splinters in them when band sawed at the butcher. With St. Louis cut we are in control on how the are trimmed. Because of this I think they look more uniform and present better. It's just our opinion.

I use to use spares only.... but the last few times I got them, they were mostly all fat, and according to my meat tasting judges (family) the flavor was just fatty, no real meat flavor....

So, I started getting baby backs from Sam's Club. They have, so far, done me good. I have only had one rack out of probably close to 30 so far that had a broken bone in it. These ribs are also what I used to get 1st place a couple of months ago in a near by ribfest.... so, for now, I am sticking to them. It did take a little getting use to cooking them when I switched, but now I have them down pat... and believe this one or not, I cook them 5 hours.... and they have had great reviews by everyone that has had them.

The use of rib racks...

Is the use of a rib rack holder, useful or not?

Is the use of a rib rack holder, useful or not?

That depends on what kind of cooker you have. On a WSM I think they are helpful but on my backwoods and FE100 they are not needed. It's a space issue

What kind of Patron is that? It's messmerizing... It would look good stuck in a block of ice....

yeah, I always manage to have the expensive tastes... No wonder why it was messmerizing... :cool:

That caught my eye quicker than the Patron did! LOL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOT.....I've done them both ways, with and without a rib rack, I'm just happiest without one....but I like to foil my ribs, so laying flat just seems to work out better for me.......

I finally graduated from the dumb class and figured out how to do an avatar... I did score '0' on a geek test that they did in the green room.

Back