• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lets Talk Turkey

Big Biscuit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I haven't posted in a while, I've been real busy at work. I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving but I don't want to have that be my first time. I'd like to work out the kinks before the big day arrives. I'm going to get a 12 lb bird and give it a go this Sunday. So here's the the gist of this post. How did you all do it? Hot & fast or low & slow? To brine or not to brine? That is the question. Herb butter under the skin or a classic BBQ rub? Hickory or apple wood? I could go on all night. Help me!!! :loco:

325 for temp, injected with
2 tbs kosher salt
2tbs garlic powder
2tsp cayenne
1/2tsp onion powder
1cup melted butter
Apple wood, if you low and slow it its in the danger Zone far too long 65f to 140f
Cook to a min of 165 internal

325 for temp, injected with
2 tbs kosher salt
2tbs garlic powder
2tsp cayenne
1/2tsp onion powder
1cup melted butter
Apple wood, if you low and slow it its in the danger Zone far too long 65f to 140f
Cook to a min of 165 internal

I forgot about the flavor injector.

Cook/Smoke it just like a Large Beer can Chicken. Use a Foster's Lauger quart 'oil can' for the support.

I don't bother with brining - too much hassle. The beer can method always turns out moist, golden brown and lots of flavor.

I get the pit to 325 I spatchcock the buzzard and remove the wing tips (Save the parts for stock to make gravy) rub it down with a little oil season with Cajun seasoning and inject it with melted butter. a twelve lb bird takes about 3 hrs.

I do mine on the kettle with full baskets roaring hot on each side. Brine for approx 12 hrs in a sugarless brine. Herb butter under the skin, aromatics, onion, garlic, lemon, herbs in the cavity. More butter on the skin for browning and crispy skin.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

If you got the time there is no reason not to brine 24 hrs in a simple brine. Then I did mine on a fosters beer can. 300 degrees or better for good skin. Try to get seasoning as many place as possible. If you plan to do turkeys often I suggest a turkey cannon. As good as a fosters oil can but you are not wasting beer.

I use the Smokin Okie's Holiday brine, do it for one or two days, nothing bigger than a 15lb bird most of the time. I smoke it at 225 for two hours then ramp to 350 to finish. I slather it with mayonaise and medium rub, turns out fantastic every single time. Going to spatchcock one this weekend.

Enhanced turkey like Jenny O, Butterball, RIverside are all shot up with a brine at the processsor. Unless it is a bird that I raised and killed I see no reason to brine it again. that is like curing a ham before you cook it.:doh:

I've become lazy. Using LA times research and Judy Rodger's Zuni chicken I no longer wet brine.
Use 1 TBS salt per 5 lbs of bird. Use either frozen or fresh . It makes little difference.
After salting place in a plastic bag and give it a rub every day for three days. Use herbs if you wish. Remove from the bag rinse lightly and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours to dry the skin. I like to mix a tsp of brown sugar with 1/4 cup of butter to use as a slather and brown the bird. Cook 350-375 till 165 in the breast. Wrap in foil and let it rest on the counter till serving. Frige it if it drops below 140 or put it in a oven to keep above 140 till serving.

I prefer split for the ease of handling and ability to position the dark meat closer to the heat.

Oops, wrong poultry thread. Anyways, brine and injection is popular. Leave the bird uncovered in a frost free fridge overnight to lower moisture content of skin. Helps for a crispier skin. Definitely hot n fast on all poultry ~350+ for me.

Back