Fire Pits at a comp

MarleyMan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering, we are cooking the Nelsonville, OH comp in a few weeks and well Fall is upon us thus it will probably be chilly at night.

Has anyone ran into an issue with having a fire pit at a comp that is elevated off the ground for ambiance & warmth?

I read the KCBS rules and the only mention is "No open holes or pits, no fires to be built on the ground"

I was wondering, we are cooking the Nelsonville, OH comp in a few weeks and well Fall is upon us thus it will probably be chilly at night.

Has anyone ran into an issue with having a fire pit at a comp that is elevated off the ground for ambiance & warmth?

I read the KCBS rules and the only mention is "No open holes or pits, no fires to be built on the ground"

Check with the contest organizer to see if there are any issues based on the location and weather. You should be fine.

We are taking one this weekend, the organizer here said it needed to be off the ground with a screen cover. Lots of areas around here have a burn ban in place now.

That rule refers to cooking pit...

Unless authorized by the organizer...

Your worried about getting chilly in october? Just make sure you check in all nite long!:arrow: Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:biggrin1:

That's the benefit of a stick burning offset. I just stand next to the fire box. When it gets really cold, I can sit under the cooking chamber and right next to the firebox. Nice and toasty.

We'll see them start to come out by the end of the month once lows get into the 60's. team unknown makes beautiful fire pits and has a raffle going for a draw in mulberry to fund their trip to the world food championships in Vegas.

A couple of years ago, the Nelsonville organizer placed out barrels for us to start a warming fire...I seen them ever year Ive been there...having said that, contact him and check to be sure nothing has changed.

Back