Reverse Spatchcocked Chicken on the Open Pit

C

Capozzoli

Did some chicken the Argentinian way. First I reverse spachcocked the chicken up the breast. I like the better placement of the breast meat under the thighs and wings. After I cut it up the keel bone, I trim the fat from the but and tuck it up under the skin on the breast. You can make sort of a pocket by sticking your finger between the breast and the skin.

These were roasted over the fire with just salt then finished with a brushing of olive oli, chopped garlic, and cilantro.

food003.jpg

food001-2.jpg

food002-1.jpg

food004.jpg

Never thought to do a reverse spatchcock. I might have to try that sometime.

Beautiful job, I swear I can taste that garlic from here!

That is absolutely fantastic! I gotta try that reverse spatchcock next time - pix are great. Thanks for putting that up :thumb:

Amazing color on this bird. It looks delicious. I'm going to try the Reverse Spatch for sure.

food004.jpg

Man thats a nice looking bird! I think I can almost taste it. What type of wood was used? How long did they take?

Nice lookin bird there! I guess flattening the chicken out either way does not matter as long as it's flat, huh. Nice!

As pretty a bird as I've ever seen. Nice job. I love low-tech.

Thanks guys.

I use oak almost all of the time. I buy it in cords. Then occasionally I get my hands on some fruit wood or something. I have some apple wood now.

That is all oak under the chickens.

They cooked for about four hours believe it or not. Very low heat where they are over the fire. If its windy this method may not work at all.

They cooked for about 3 hours with the skin up then flipped a couple of times for the last hour. Gotta keep an eye on them at the end cause the dripping fat from the skin can cause flare ups.

It doesnt really show it in the pick but even after this amount of time the breast meat was tender and juicey. I attribute this to the reverse spatchcocking and barding with the ass fat. the juices from the wings and thighs combined with the fat keep the breast nice and moist.

Back