Resting meat

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering, typically we start big pieces of meat (shoulder and brisket) early and when they are done rest them until turn in time. I keep toying with the idea of trying to get the meat done closer to turn in time with maybe an hour rest or less. What is everyone's thoughts on that? Does the quality of the meat decrease with resting? I know I could rest a brisket for 1/2 the day and it is still so hot you can barely handle it. I know you need to figure some of this into your tenderness, meat could over cook during resting. I am just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks in advance,

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange Thermapen (on the way)

I think a long rest is the better idea. A brisket or large shoulder, 2 hours seems like a good plan. Never less than an hour.

Resting is OK, as long as you let to cool off a little before wrapping and resting, if not internal temps could climb making it over-done and mushy.

Let's say you add liquid, like beef broth to the foil and continue cooking. When you pull off the cooker do you pour off the liquid before holding in the cooler? Would the hot liquid make it continue cooking or lead to a mushy texture?

Thanks,

I wrap dry, no need to add moisture. I feel it is really important, the texture is just a lot better when the meat is rested.

Let's say you add liquid, like beef broth to the foil and continue cooking. When you pull off the cooker do you pour off the liquid before holding in the cooler? Would the hot liquid make it continue cooking or lead to a mushy texture?

Thanks,

I have found that the pork might get a little mushy if it sits too long in those juices but haven't had any issues with beef. I typically take my big meats off of the cooker between 9 - 11am.

Do you have a cambro or cooler to put the meat? If so they can last for several hours and still be hot.

My big meats finish between 9-12 am, I pour off beef & pork jus, place meat on JOS racks in full sheet pans, then seal with foil. They rest in a cambro untill 20 before turn-in. So far So good.

I have found that the pork might get a little mushy if it sits too long in those juices but haven't had any issues with beef. I typically take my big meats off of the cooker between 9 - 11am.

Do you have a cambro or cooler to put the meat? If so they can last for several hours and still be hot.

I use a preheated cooler, with two briskets and two butts each wrapped in foil and then in towels. Unlike a cambro, all of the meat is basically laying on top of each other and I'm wondering if that large heat mass is doing any damage, like drying out the meat or overcooking it?

I always try to rest my large cuts, Pork or Beef about 3-4 hours. The low temp heat from the cook forces the juices deep into the center of the meat. The rest allows those juices to slowly redistribute outward from the center back into the exterior muscle. Best thing to do is pull the meat from the smoker at the right time so not to create mush during thr resting time.

I use a preheated cooler, with two briskets and two butts each wrapped in foil and then in towels. Unlike a cambro, all of the meat is basically laying on top of each other and I'm wondering if that large heat mass is doing any damage, like drying out the meat or overcooking it?

Try using metal buffet pans with the metal lids. You can stack without smashing. I use a cambro and its maxed out so it shouldn't be any different than a cooler.

My brisket usually rests between 6-8 hrs in the cambro. No venting needed.

Try using metal buffet pans with the metal lids. You can stack without smashing. I use a cambro and its maxed out so it shouldn't be any different than a cooler.

My brisket usually rests between 6-8 hrs in the cambro. No venting needed.

Good tip...........thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input. I just was curious what people did. It always seems like at competitions that we are the first ones to get our meat on and just keep wondering if we were resting too long. I like the meat rested properly until it is a temp that I can handle it. Put I see some guys pull the meat off and then box it up. Everyone has there own way of doing things. I took a class from Chris Marks and he claimed that was the only way to do meat for comp straight off the pit into the box. I don't agree, but everyone has there own opinion. I just wanted to make sure I was not crazy.

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange thermapen

I was in a comp a week ago took butt straight off smoker put in box and turned in with 2 minutes to spare and placed second. If you cook good it does not matter what you do with it. It's all about the flavor.

Back