• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To Sam's or Not to Sam's, that is the Question

Utah Jake

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if it was a good idea to pay $250 for a chance to beat 30 other teams for the chance to drive 1200 miles to compete against 30 even better teams to win the chance to drive 2600 miles to cook against 50 even better teams.
"I know what I was feeling, but what was I thinking?"

It's a personal choice that depends on why you compete in the first place.

If you're in it to win money, the Sam's series could be lucrative. If you're looking for amenities, entertainment, a pleasant cook site and/or socializing you'll probably be happier at another event.

Basically, it comes down to options. I am skipping the Sam's series this year as a cook because of schedule. There are plenty of nearby state championship contests near me that cost less than Sam's to enter and they have water at your site! And if I was lucky enough to win the Sam's local event, I'd have to drive 11 hours for the regional. With gas going up, this is not practical.

Every team who is serious about trying to go all the way has entered somewhere by now. Treat the local as a regular contest that pays good money. If you are able to move forward after the local, then worry about it.

Good luck, Benny

Every team who is serious about trying to go all the way has entered somewhere by now. Treat the local as a regular contest that pays good money. If you are able to move forward after the local, then worry about it.

Good luck, Benny

this is exactly my approach to it.

Whether 'tis Nobler in the bbq pit to suffer
The rubs and sauces of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take oak wood against a Sea of brine,

oh, Nevermind.....

You have to advance before you worry about the long drive.

Back