chicken wing brine?

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do yall brine your wings in? I am doing 5 lbs for football this weekend and thought I would try brining them.

I don't usually brine chicken wings but i do marinate in apple juice, dr pepper, cherry dr pepper, root beer. You can use pretty much anything.

I usually don't brine wings for two reasons.

First - They don't seem to need it IMO.
Second - Good grilled wings need crispy skin which is why a lot of people air dry them in the fridge first. Brining them would make it a pain to dry each wing thoroughly. Okay, I admit, I'm lazy :)

I'll be the lone dissenter here. :)

I brine my wings for a few hours and even overnight in a simple salt/sugar brine. Sometimes I'll add a bit of marinade to that mixture if I have something laying around that sounds good. I like the extra mositure for the steam effect as I'm cooking. I get plenty of direct heat when I want to so I can still crisp the skin up no problem.

You ain't alone jasonjax!

I, too, brine wings if I can. A simple salt/sugar brine of 1 part sugar to 2 parts salt in water with some whole peppercorns. I don't really measure brines anymore. Brine for about 1-2 hours.

Although I will say that I also agree that they may not need them since usually wings get so much flavor on the skin and sauced afterward, depending on how you do them. They're good either way.

ME....I brine poultry all the time though.

Back