Mixing Chicken - Thighs and Pulled

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It seems that there have been a lot of mixed boxes lately for pork, w/ sliced and maybe pulled or chunked. You also have brisket boxes that include burnt ends.

Is there a reason why mixed boxes of chicken haven't been popular?

Eric

i am under the impression that for KCBS pork turn ins if there is more than one serving style of pork ie: sliced, pulled, chunked, the judges are instructed to try each offering and score them as a whole. Chicken on the other hand is a take one piece and judge that piece. It may have changed since i took my judging class, but i'm putting my best 6 pieces of chicken in the box and not taking any chances.

Chicken is the same as any other category. If there are different types of meat present (thighs and pulled, thighs and breast, etc.) judges are encouraged to try both.

The danger is doing this is that you will be judged on both (doh!). So, if your thighs are perfect, but the pulled is not, your score can be hurt by the pulled meat. So, if you want to do this just make sure that both types of meat are the best you can turn in.

In FBA pulled or chopped is used for the bed to showcase the thighs. Boxes without generally score lower. It's that fill the box mentality. Both are judged.

The last couple KCBS contests that I've judged had chicken entries that had chopped chicken under the thighs or with the sliced breast. Also judged the "National Barbecue Festival" in Waycross last November where MOST of the chicken entries had chopped chicken under the other pieces/slices.

Can some one give a description of great pulled chicken? And how do you pull it?

We usually present thighs on a bed of pulled. It is well received. You do need to pay attention to both and make sure they both taste great. Why do we do it? Well, it looks good. It may also keep the meat temperature higher, not sure about that.

For the CBBQA teams watching this thread- Pulled Chicken is not allowed in PNWBA events.

We usually present thighs on a bed of pulled. It is well received. You do need to pay attention to both and make sure they both taste great. Why do we do it? Well, it looks good. It may also keep the meat temperature higher, not sure about that.

Yep, the heat sink mod if why we do it. Taste your pulled before you put it in the box. Season it well.

Back