• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SmACk TaWK Site Organization at a Comp

B

Burk504

Had a blast at Pork in The Park comp in MD last weekend, but I must say that I had a hard time keeping track of all my stuff. We don't have an RV or a fancy rig...just canopy tents, tables and coolers.

Does anyone have any great systems for keeping track of everything? Tips for laying out tables? Shelving systems etc. You guys are the best.

I will admit, I do have a nice RV to compete in, when I can,,,,, but just like you ,everything is outside anyways, and what is not, it's still inside of a tub.

I use these as a guide

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.cfm

I use tubs with lids to hold things in it, each one has the list taped to the lid to refill after a contest. I also use a regular toolbox just to hold the knifes, special spices, gloves, ect.

We have only 1 12x12 pop-up and I think our setup works great.

On the 'back' wall we have a portable kitchen (cabella's) and a table that holds three bus tubs for w/r/s, plus a handwash sink. We usually tarp up there and another side if there is a threat of rain, which ever side is towards the rain. On that side we park the truck. Pop up is strapped to the front and back of the truck as well as down to 8 50lb bags of sand. On the truck side wall we have our bins lined up, spices, sundries bin, hardware bin. On the 'front' we hang our banner and the brethren banner by bungees. Cookers go just out from under the pop-up on the open side. We have one table just inside the banners and coolers on either end, nice barrier from entry.

That's it, simple, basic, works.

I only take the essentials we need. Makes it much easier to keep track of. Then stuff like using a cooler to keep the food cold and turning around and using the cooler to keep your warm stuff hot the next morning makes one less thing to carry around. Think about what you can reuse and what makes sense to take or leave at home.

I only take the essentials we need. Makes it much easier to keep track of. Then stuff like using a cooler to keep the food cold and turning around and using the cooler to keep your warm stuff hot the next morning makes one less thing to carry around. Think about what you can reuse and what makes sense to take or leave at home.

Yep, I still look for ways to trim down what I have in the comp trailer. I have a heavy duty Rubbermaid tote that I keep all the things that I might need or just in-case stuff in. That way it can stay packed and out of the way unless it rains or what not.

I mounted two kitchen cabinets and put a 4 foot counter top on it and then put it all on wheels... Just like working at home, everything goes into a drawer.

no matter what, even with the mobile kitchen, my site eventually looks like a soup kitchen blew up a mile away and landed in my 20x20.

I will refrain from misguiding you to site anarchy.

I mounted two kitchen cabinets and put a 4 foot counter top on it and then put it all on wheels... Just like working at home, everything goes into a drawer.

You have any pics of that? Sounds awesome!

here is a pic of my site.. pretty tight huh? :laugh:

Damn... Were you guys rolling around in that sauce or what? How do you keep your turn in box clean... :roll:

here is a pic of my site.. pretty tight huh? :laugh:

Looks like a scene from a "slasher" film. :becky:

(why do they always go looking for what made the sound they heard) :doh:

Damn... Were you guys rolling around in that sauce or what? How do you keep your turn in box clean... :roll:

Usually one of us is in the corner under a poncho until the very last second.
I'm surprised the wall of the easy up doesn't have anything on it...

We have another table off to the side for boxing that is a quarantine zone. Usually I'm not that bad, I struggle to stay clean and organized but do have good days occasionally. :p That pic was from Little Rock where everything fell apart during brisket turn-in.

Best tip I ever got was to learn exactly what you will need for each process. What knife you need, how big of a pan, injection. Know your process and only get out what you will need.
We watched Mike with Lotta Bull give his class, ran thru a full comp, on a single 3 X 4 table. His wife would help clean and bring different knifes. But he knew exactly what he needed each time. We're in trailer too, but it has helped a lot.

Back