Pulled/Chopped brisket?

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever turned in pulled/chopped brisket in a comp? I'm assuming this would be in addition to slices/burnt ends. Just curious how that would turn out.

As a cook and competitor I am afraid to try it. As a judge, I would love to see it. Shaking things up a bit can be a good thing.

We, a table of judges, were talking of just this thing at a contest 2 weeks ago. The consensus was positive even though no competitor at our table gave it a go.

Many teams use it as a base for slices and ends.
Works great if cooked properly.

TIM

I really like chopped point and tried it a few times last year with only 1 top 10, but that was because I suck at cooking brisket in general. Here it is from Greenwood last year and we got 8th.
IMG1063_zps0d44cff7.jpg

Looks a little too pulled-pork ish to me, I don't think judges would go for that.

Looks a little too pulled-pork ish to me, I don't think judges would go for that.

Yeah i never loved the way it looked, but thought it tasted great. Haven't done it in a while. One of those things where in concept it sounds like a good idea but in the long run it wont hit consistently with the judges.

I love pulled brisket but am not sure how it would go in a comp.

2 top 5's last year using a bed of chopped under sliced and Burnt ends

Has anyone ever turned in pulled/chopped brisket in a comp? I'm assuming this would be in addition to slices/burnt ends. Just curious how that would turn out.

We never tried it but there is only one sure way to find out.

I'm aware of at least 2 different teams that ended up turning in pulled because their brisket was too "fall-apart" overdone to slice. Both ended up top 3, but don't know how many times they turned in the same and were bottom half.

While we are discussing brisket turn-ins.
Last contest considered turning in just the burnt ends because they were way better than the sliced flat.

Anyone every do this? Your results.

I was wondering that same thing just the other day. At my last contest, my burnt ends were so awful that I only turned in slices, and as I was thinking about it, I thought, "boy, I'm glad I didn't end up the opposite way with only burnt ends being good."

Not sure, but my first reaction is that appearance scores would be all over the place. Then again, that's par for the course with me, so...

we turned in only burnt ends once and it was a disaster. Although they weren't the best burnt ends :oops:

We turned in burnt ends earlier this year due to tough slices and got 9th

I turned in 1/2" - 1" pieces of flat a few years ago. All 9's in appearance but all other scores sucked. Now that is before I figured brisket out so it may do better now.

Back