prime briskets

roksmith

is one Smokin' Farker
Anybody been noticing a drop in brisket supplies? We've been trying to get in a case of prime briskets and almost 2 months now and our supplier says the supply lines are tight.
We've always been able to get them in with a couple of weeks in the past.

Be prepared to see a shortage of whole packers over 14 pounds, and Prime Briskets, they will be going to commerical accounts with higher end margin then places such as RD and Sams Club. Also be prepared to see the price of brisket rise by 30-35% this spring. Beef feed lot inventory is at its lowest since 1964 and the cattle are being killed at 1000-1100 pounds versus 1300 and up to reduce feed costs which results in smaller brisket cuts.

Our butcher here in Mesa, AZ brings in 5 cases of prime briskets at a time. Some are on the thin side, but usually running in the 14-16lb range...

Choice whole packers around here have already hit $3lb at my local supermarket. I'm scared to think what primes would cost.

been ordering food for about 20+ years and this week prime briskets dropped to $1.90 a pound with plentiful supply, no problems here

Never buy briskets at price chopper, Hy-vee, etc. They are always 3plus dollars, crazy. The prices will drop and supplies will become more plentiful in spring.

Never buy briskets at price chopper, Hy-vee, etc. They are always 3plus dollars, crazy. The prices will drop and supplies will become more plentiful in spring.

See above quote. The price of comps are going up. Animal #'s are down big time.Texas draught ......I'm in the animal feed biz n I'm seeing the effects in my area.

my supplier is a whole sale supplier....i work for a large private club in the midwest that has large amount of purchasing power but this supplier does not sell to the general public and if they do the price will not be what i get....our operation does 2.9 million dollars in business a year with this company so i get the benefit of the price break with the volume of food we order from them....the supplier is PFG middendorf in st louis...you may be able to purchase from them but like i said the price will definitly not be $1.90 a pound....but i know they do have a good supply and i have not been told of any potential shortages on them

See above quote. The price of comps are going up. Animal #'s are down big time.Texas draught ......I'm in the animal feed biz n I'm seeing the effects in my area.

People forget about the draught last year that caused the sell off. Now the number of head is low and prices are up. Its hard for the general public to grasp the concept of the draught that happened so many months ago affecting beef prices today.

So if you can get the good ol boy discount and want to tell us all about it like its common knowledge does this mean you'll let us buy on your name? Buddy....?

People forget about the draught last year that caused the sell off. Now the number of head is low and prices are up. Its hard for the general public to grasp the concept of the draught that happened so many months ago affecting beef prices today.

^^^^^ - this.

The drought that still continues is a major issue and has put many ranchers out of business.

been ordering food for about 20+ years and this week prime briskets dropped to $1.90 a pound with plentiful supply, no problems here

This is what is so frustrating. Ordering from a major food distributor, I'm told they just are not available. yet in other parts of the country they appear to be plentiful. They appear to exist, but not for me in Ohio. At this point, if I could get a hold of them, I'd go ahead and get 2 or 3 cases and buy an extra freezer to hold them.
I guess it was a bad sign last year when we would order Choice and they would send Primes instead..making for the limited supply now?

I guess I just have a kick @$$ butcher.

i haven't seen any shortage per say up here at RD, but they ARE for SURE smaller.

used to be 14-16# average, now it's kinda rare to see anything over 13.

price has been steady...ish.

Back