Turkey Cooking Unevenly (Help!!!)

srockrae

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am smoking a 17 lb turkey on a Primo (similar to Green Egg). I spatchcocked it and chilled the breast with ice before putting it on my smoker. I have three temperature probes in now and they are reading as follows 1) Thigh leftis 140 degrees 2) Thigh Right is 156 2) Breast is 110 degrees. I am concerned that at the rate the bird is cooking that the thighs will be done at 165-170 but the breast will not be in the safe range. I just rotated it on the smoker 180 degrees. Any ideas? Would covering the top of the turkey with tin foil increase the heat at the breast to a higher temp? What is a safe temp if the thighs are done?

Talked to Butterball people. They said the breast would catch up with the Thighs. They were right, what do you know. Final Pull temps. Breast 160 degrees, Thighs 168 degrees.

Talked to Butterball people. They said the breast would catch up with the Thighs. They were right, what do you know. Final Pull temps. Breast 160 degrees, Thighs 168 degrees.

Perfect! I'm glad that the turkey chicks could give you proper guidance. ;-)

John

Thanks to you too for the ranges with the dark meat being OK at higher temp. Kept me from panicing.

Back