homemade sausage

gators120779

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
made my first batch of smokes sausage this weekend, temps never got over 180, but my sausage is almost too smokey and the casing is a little tough. i used oak for fuel, what did i do wrong?

What was your final IT? I've had natural casings that were just plain tuff. I also have cooked sausages and case hardened the casing. For that reason, I bring the temp up gradually.

Natural casing benefit from vinegar in the soaking water. about a TBS per cup of water, It softens them a bit and they seem a bit more translucent... (another tip while Im thinking about it Turn your casings inside out so the stringy sides are in...)

Humidity is the factor here. Not enough, and the casings dry out and get tough before the inside is cooked.

Meat Smoking & Smokehouse Design, by Adam, Robert, and Stanley Marianski. Outstanding reference, pick up a copy and you'll learn a ton.

I had the same problem with smoked fish - just too much smoke. It mellowed after a month or two in the freezer.

Just a suggetion -

RMR

how do you get the casings inside out??

They don't always have to be flipped, I have come across where they were already. (The stringy bits we not on the outside)

To flip I have spread an end over two fingers and then use the facuet to help run it through itself... (sorry, hopefully someone can explain better or has a pic)

Back