Gas Grill maintenance

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a 13 year old weber gas grill that is still going strong. I scrape it out every summer or so, but it still has quite a bit of grease and crud buildup in it. This summer I actually had a pretty impressive grease fire in it, resulting in a unplanned night out on the town for dinner. So... if I take out the burners, flavorizer bars and gas regulator, do you think it's ok to give it a good power washing?

iu
:becky:

I power washed mine at year 7 after I started a huge grease fire in it. I was lucky to catch it early. At that point I unbolted it from the frame, took all the burners and plates out of it and power washed it in the grass. I replaced the burners and bought the upgraded stainless steel grates and plates. Brushed the rust of on a couple of spits on the games and repainted where needed with high temp black Rustoleum. She's going on year 13 and good as ever.

Two days ago I put an old blanket underneath it, took a putty knife and scraped all the sides and the grease pan into the blanket. I just folded it up and threw it away. She's good to go for another year now. I've alway kept a Weber grill cover on it when not in use.

For those having grease fires, are you dumping both the tin foil pan AND the slide out catch tray regularly ?

But yes, it's fine to power wash it, or if you want to go all all out, get a $10 angle grinder at Harbor Freight with a 4in cup wire brush and take it down to bare aluminum on the inside of the firebox. Spray with Pam or apply a light coat of oil and season like you would a new smoker.

Weber genesis silver 2 burner

I'm guessing you take the ss slide out tray out and clean before every cook and empty/replace the foil dip pan. My Daughter had a two burner Weber and did not even know it would slide out for cleaning and then wondered why it caught fire everytime she tried to use it.

You should pull the grills and flavorizor bars and scrape them too. Then you will be amazed at how much better that rig cooks.

Good Luck! :thumb:

That's exactly what I do with mine at the end of every summer, power wash it completely out. Any water left gets dried out when you heat it up after. Works great. Keeps the dogs busy for hours afterwards, cleaning up all the charred treats.

Back