• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bandera problems

MAT5243

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Smoked thanksgiving turkey yesterday in my BANDERA. Had no trouble keeping temp control. But i blew through a whole bag of Kingston blue in about three hours. Is this normal in the BANDERA? How can i slow this down?

If the temp was ok in the smoker chamber, it probably wasn't in the fire box, I'm guessing your fire box was running full throttle due to an air leak in the box area

I got this smoker for free and it needs some work. I plan on sealing a few spots that need it and add a charcoal basket. Should this help or is there more i can do as far as how i operate it.

Banderas are known as fuel hogs. But the same issue that is problematic for hot cooks (firebox shedding alot of heat that doesn't get through the food cabinet) also makes them great cold smokers for bacon, fish, cheese etc. If you ever go to a different smoker like a WSM as many Bandera owners did, hang on to it for cold smokes. They DO cook good Q, just require more fuel, fine tuning, babysitting than WSMs, UDSs etc.

Bandera's lose a lot of heat out of the lid to the fire box and through the sides and bottom of the firebox. I lined mine with thin fire brick and sealed off the lid with a 1/2" plate of steel, it doesn't have to be that thick, but I'm using mine as a griddle. That fixed the problem.

Back