Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Hilo Bay BBQ, July 4th 2012

Crash

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I can't think of a better place for a BBQ competition than on the shores of Hilo Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii. This event is an IBCA sanctioned contest with the potential of a Jack Draw opportunity.

Details:

- Entry fee is $125 for the competition and $175 for the competition and the opportunity to vend.
- Teams will need a State of Hawaii temporary vending permit to vend
- Load in is as early as 12 noon on July 2nd
- Load out is July 5th by noon
- Ancillary categories are chili and poke and will be done on July 3rd
- The 4 meat IBCA competiton is on July 4th and includes: Chicken, Pork spare ribs, Pork and Brisket
- a 20x20 tent is provided, with a 12x12 metal roof within that area for cookers

Book your rooms, rental cars and air travel ASAP. They will sell out and prices will go up. Organizer has said that he will pick up pits shipped to the docks and he has a 2" ball for tow-pits.

Contact Rick (Organizer) at rick@hawaiianarts.com or at 808-935-1860

We will definitely be attending this year, competing as VRM Pit Crew. Rumor has it that 3 mainland teams are flying in for this one.

Anyone else?

More info at hilobaybbq.com

Any sandbaggers coming over? ;)

Giddyup VRM!

Oh man how fun would that be?!

Sent from my Swamp HD using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'll be a sandbager some year. I need to get Hawaii off my list.

It might be tricky getting a comp trailer over there.

CD

It might be tricky getting a comp trailer over there.

CD
And not cheap. If you have deep pockets, it can be done from the mainland.

The shipping of towed pits was directed more toward the inter-island cooks coming from the outer islands.

I squeezed numbers and just can't do it this year. An 18" WSM is $370 shipped to Hilo...

Flying out in a few hours. Our pits and gear are somewhere in the middle of the Pacific.

I'll definitley post up pics as soon as I can.

Good Luck, Brah!!!!

This one is on my Bucket List for sure!!!!! Be a nice homecoming, so to speak....

Wonder how may Backwoods owners there are in the islands..........

We are going to try and cook at this one nest year. This year, my wife and I are running a one-day contest in Marksville, LA on July 4.

We are going to try and cook at this one nest year. This year, my wife and I are running a one-day contest in Marksville, LA on July 4.
Keep me posted on 2013. We'll help you guys out in any way we can.

Keep me posted on 2013. We'll help you guys out in any way we can.

If you do it in 2013, let me know. If I can find some WSMs or even some pellet cookers, it would be worth the trip. Perhaps I'll team up with another team to save costs.

How cool, take some pics. We'd love to be Queing in paradise. Good cooking everyone.

Back