• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what is a bad burnt end

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I hear a lot of teams say " don't put burnt ends in the box if they aren't perfect" . what makes a perfect burnt end. I have been turning in tender, not fatty, "moist" and flavorful burnt ends and it doesn't seem to make a difference between just slices or endz and slices. Anyone know what a judge (or anyone else) considers a good vs. bad burnt end?

Funny you asked, we had some really horrible burnt ends at our last comp, the briskets got done about two hours earlier then normal(goofy weather and the pit was just not happy), we let them rest for five hours waiting for turn-in, by then all the fat had melted out of the point leaving nothing but dry burnt ends, STUPID me, we turned them in and got hammered!!(brisket is normally our best category)

I have never had a "perfect" BE but have judged many excellent ones.

They are crunchy and dark on the outside...soft flavorful on the inside. Tastes like a ribeye steak.

I have had a problem with mine overcooking lately to where they are just too rendered and don't want to stay together when slicing.

photo99_zps8b0cbb79.jpg

this one did not suck.

I tried to make them, and I didn't like the sweetness of the bbq sauce on them. I mixed 1/2 sauce and 1/2 au jus. Do y'all (and the judges) like the sweetness, or do you use a sauce that isn't sweet?

I have actually been cubing up the point, reseasoning and saucing prior to putting them back on the cooker. I cook SUPER hot so the render pretty quick.

Great Burnt Ends

They melt in your mouth and have a great beef flavor. I had some of the best burnt ends when judging the Sam's Club event in Laurel MD!

Funny you asked, we had some really horrible burnt ends at our last comp, the briskets got done about two hours earlier then normal(goofy weather and the pit was just not happy), we let them rest for five hours waiting for turn-in, by then all the fat had melted out of the point leaving nothing but dry burnt ends, STUPID me, we turned them in and got hammered!!(brisket is normally our best category)

From the description I am thinking these were wagyu?

Did you cool them after an hour or let them cook in a cambro?

I like the crispy crunchy outside and tender smooth inside. Even better when you can get some good clean white fat to crisp up after you separate.

We don't put endz in a box unless we want to eat them all and are confident in everyone we pick up. If they are hit or miss we leave them out. We don't dig around.

humor me!!! i know this is what we are accepting as burnt ends in competition bbq and i myself am in trying to get them right, but... they are not burnt ends! they are carmelized deckle cubes or point cubes or whatever you want to call them. real burnt ends are just that. the crispy burnt ends of the flat. they are an important part of barbeque and i think they have a place in the box, not that i would try putting them in there just yet, but i would like to see burnt ends represented as such and the point, weather it be cubed or sliced (as in moist as oppposed to lean slices, as it is often served) adressed with its own treatment. okay, i guess i'm done!

humor me!!! i know this is what we are accepting as burnt ends in competition bbq and i myself am in trying to get them right, but... they are not burnt ends! they are carmelized deckle cubes or point cubes or whatever you want to call them. real burnt ends are just that. the crispy burnt ends of the flat. they are an important part of barbeque and i think they have a place in the box, not that i would try putting them in there just yet, but i would like to see burnt ends represented as such and the point, weather it be cubed or sliced (as in moist as oppposed to lean slices, as it is often served) adressed with its own treatment. okay, i guess i'm done!

How does your brisket do in a competitive field?

Ever cooked a comp within a couple hours of KC?

Back