Japanese chilis

Smokey Mick

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im working on a certain rub or spice mix Ive had in my head for quite some years. Had to wait four years for a certain ingredient but I digress.
Im looking for the names of chillies that are commonly used in Japanese cooking , Green or red.
Or to put it another way, What chili is distinctly Japanese?

Thanks

Thai chilies are too distinvtly "Thai", Also they dont have to be hot, Even a pepper type (Capsicum) might do.
I know they use wasabi but that is a root? I wonder if wasabi is available in powder form

There are a few. The most common are Shi****o, Fushimi and Yatsafusa. All are used in various preparation, although the Shi****o is mild, similar to the American Wrinkled Old Man or the Spanish Padron peppers.

The Shi****o is often used for tempura and other dishes where it would be eaten whole. The Fushimi and Yatsafusa are hotter and often are used in Togarashi, the Japanese pepper and spice blend used all over Japan, usually in place of black pepper.

There are a few. The most common are Shi****o, Fushimi and Yatsafusa. All are used in various preparation, although the Shi****o is mild, similar to the American Wrinkled Old Man or the Spanish Padron peppers.

The Shi****o is often used for tempura and other dishes where it would be eaten whole. The Fushimi and Yatsafusa are hotter and often are used in Togarashi, the Japanese pepper and spice blend used all over Japan, usually in place of black pepper.
Thanks for that, I will serch out seeds for each.
The mild one didnt make the cus screen :tape:
Would you be so kind to PM me it ?

Bob, are there other varieties that have the same qualities that we could compare too if we've never tried the ones you mentioned? Or some type that comes close to them?

Most of the peppers fall into two categories.

One if the very familiar Capsicum annum, Not unlike the cayenne peppers we have here, but, with a slightly milder heat.

The Shi****o is a little harder to find analogs for, with the Wrinkled Old Man and Peter peppers being the closest commonly available chiles. They are thin-walled and very similar in taste to sweet Italian Frying Peppers. But, much smaller.

The Fushimi is like a skinny New Mexico mild chile, it has some heat, but, is thin walled and dries easily.

There are hotter chiles that are analogs to Serrano and Cayenne, and there is a small one that is similar to the Thai chiles most people are familiar with, but, I have not see the seed available stateside.

One of the best dishes I have had recently was a Shi...shi...to that was stuffed with shrimp and green onion, then tempura fried, it was so good.

I got to look those up. I'd like to find some seeds and maybe get some going this next season. So then the Shi..Shi is a decent sized pepper if you can stuff it like that, yes?

Mick, I remember talking about this with you long ago now.
Landarc got it all, shi-shi-to is my favourite non spicy pepper, absolutely delicious but not hot at all, except for that odd one.

I would agree, they are about 3 inches long, maybe the same diameter as a Jalapeno
Seed LINKY

Mick, I remember talking about this with you long ago now.
Landarc got it all, shi-shi-to is my favourite non spicy pepper, absolutely delicious but not hot at all, except for that odd one.

And its taken my that long to get a certain tree up and producing:wink:
I knew we had that convo but forgot what is was, It was the Shi Shi.
Its writen down now.
As soon as I can grow that shi shi to fruit, I can begin testing.
Sorry, I have to be sketchy as Im thinking I might do something with my idea. In comps or otherwise..
Will def send you some to taste test as I go, If you dont mind ?

You bet!
The shi-shi-to is almost sweet while being savory and aromatic at the same time.
Delicious pepper.

Back