New Lodge Dutch Oven

J

Jym396

Greetings Brethren,
I just purchased a 5QT Lodge DO. I'm puzzled by 2 things:
1. The finish, what looks like paint, but I know that can't be, so I assume it is seasoning from the factory. Anyway, there are a few spots that are a little less black than others. Now I'm talking less than a square inch in three spots, one is on the top of the lid. I am thinking this will be fine with proper use and seasoning. Is this normal? All of my other CI is from my Grandmother. (God Bless you Gram)
2. On the underside of the lid there are 'nibs' or 'points'. What is the purpose?

Thanks ahead for any insight/advice.

-Jim

Yeah, just do another seasoning on it and put it to use. In a few years it'll look just like Granny's CI.

Thanks cholloway, thought so, but the reassurance helps. Kudos!

I think that is calle dthe Drip Drop Lid. It is self basting. Moisture under the lid collects and drips

Yep...Self basting lid. The nubs collect condensation from whatever you are cooking which then drips back onto your food. It helps to keep the liquid from just sliding across the curvature of the pan lid and running down the edges of the Dutch oven.

The seasoning will even out over time as long as you use it and maintain it well.

Well I'm rollin' over Rover. Now feeling some real comfort from my CI and thee Brethren.

you do want to wash it completely, they used to come with a little wax film also. The last lodge I bought I heated a little, wash with soap and rinsed, heated to dry. Then started the seasoning process.

Back