• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wings - Smoker to Fryer Anybody?

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody ever smoke some chicken wings for a short time, dredge in a flour mixture, and finish in a deep fryer? Just a brainfart I had.

If so, how did they turn out? Any tips?

Have heard of it, anything chicken wing is good to me, let us know. No pics.......never happened.

You might want to check out The BBQ Grail blog, he has done it a lot. I have tried it and liked the results.

It's called Smo-Fried chicken.

DSC_0005.jpg

Yeah, I thought that I invented it also. I skip the flour cuz that's how I roll. These guys... if you think you invented something, it's incredibly likely that it's already been done - here.

But then again tater tots were just recently wrapped in bacon...

It works well. Will be on me superbowl menu fur shur.

I knew better to think I invented it.

Trying to determine what I'm bringing for Superbowl pot-luck. My buffalo wings are good but want to add a little sumthin-sumthin.

I knew better to think I invented it.

Trying to determine what I'm bringing for Superbowl pot-luck. My buffalo wings are good but want to add a little sumthin-sumthin.

Smo-Fried Moinks?

It works fine. I was known for my smoked wings, but got the urge for a fryer. Smoked first, then just deep fried for a couple minutes or so to crispy up. Works well. In fact it can be a finishing touch for lots of stuff.

My dad used to wrap tater tots in bacon when i was a kid and thats a long time ago! and your right it's probably happened here sometime. There is a wing restaurant in Daytona Beach that smokes their wings and then finishes them in the deep fryer, no flour just plain but they are really good!

Haven't done it with chicken wings, however, I HAVE done it with ribs. Awesome! Smoked then beer battered and deep fried.

First of all.....chicken is unhealthy unless it's skinless and baked.
Secondly, dredging it and deep frying it is VERY unhealthy. I don't recommend this be attempted at ALL. Why don't you try some nice tofu and sprouts with sliced apples with a nice slice of lean pork loin. You could add some brie cheese!

..........fark, who'm I kidding. I'd be all OVER that like stink on chit!! Sounds GREAT!!!

Sorry. Don't know what happened there.:rolleyes:

A local Cajun places does this. They smoke the wings in their smokehouse with the other meats, then deep fry them. They don't flour them (which is IMO wing sacrilege anyway), but I believe they either baste with their wing sauce during the smoke or dunk them right before frying as there is some of the sauce cooked into the wings. They are then served with a light coating of their wing sauce after the fryer. Some of the best, if not THE best, wings I've ever had.

Back