• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Hot & Fast Brisket lots of pron and more to come

K-Barbecue

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I've been reading all the great info here about the "new" way of doing brisket. I've always done the all night thing and that gets old. Well today is the day. I'm fairly new with the WSM and I've gotten a lot of great tips reading posts here. I've been using the water pan with water in it but like many have said it is such a pain to clean up and the large dead brown spots on my lawn confirm that grass and grease don't mix. So I've went out and bought two 16" clay flower pot saucers from the garden center and foiled them up like I've seen some of you do. Walmart had a nice 9.47 pound brisket so that's what I'm using. I started out by injecting the brisket then putting on the rub. I fired up the WSM Minion style with a full load of charcoal and some hickory and mesquite wood chunks. I'm thinking of panning it at 160 to finish it off until done. I've put it on the WSM fat side down. Trying to hold a surface temp with the Maverick of 300 degrees. My surface temps always seem to be 20 to 40 degrees hotter than the dome temp. Hope it works otherwise I heard McDonalds is open for dinner tonight if not !

Last edited:
Looks like a good start. Just keep with the formula of foil pan at around 160, pull from heat at around 200, place in warm cooler for at least an hour and you will have a great brisket.

Looks like a good start. Just keep with the formula of foil pan at around 160, pull from heat at around 200, place in warm cooler for at least an hour and you will have a great brisket.

OK that's what I'll do... Thanks

Well It's been holding close to 300 degrees at the grill surface for 3.25 hours and the meat thermometer says 162. I also verified that with my RED thermapen. I've pulled it off and into a pan adding the remaining injection marinade that was left over. Couldn't resist adding a fatty too. Had to scrunch up the corners of the pan to fit with the lid on. I'm wondering how long it will take to reach 200 if I maintain 300 degrees?? So far it's looking pretty good. I may cancel my reservation at McDonalds afterall.

Last edited:
Well I did the toothpick tenderness check at 200 and she needs a little more. I checked again at 205 and its just right. It's in the cooler now resting. The fatty is also done and ready to eat. I now opened all the vents wide open to raise the temp, threw on a couple wood chunks and put on the potatoes and sweet corn.

Last edited:
Here's the finished product. Came out pretty good considering it took only 5.25 hours.

Last edited:
Looks great. I know many of you like to foil, but I prefer to continue without the foil in order to get a better bark. I like to use the burnt ends in my baked beans for that extra smokey flavor. But that is just my way of doing things. You got a good looking smoke ring and some mighty good lookin' grub.:thumb::becky:

Looks great. I know many of you like to foil, but I prefer to continue without the foil in order to get a better bark. I like to use the burnt ends in my baked beans for that extra smokey flavor. But that is just my way of doing things. You got a good looking smoke ring and some mighty good lookin' grub.:thumb::becky:

It came out pretty good. Nice and tender but I'm not ready to totally give up on low and slow just yet. However, considering it took only about 5 1/2 hours versus the normal 12-14 hours at 225 I'd probably do brisket more often.

Yours looks pretty good! I'm thinking that I'm doing the down and dirty, er, hot and fast with my brisket tomorrow...it would be nice to not have to get cleaned up to go to church...we get out at 10 and also have a ~9lber...eating @ 6PM, yep, I'm going for it.

Yours looks pretty good! I'm thinking that I'm doing the down and dirty, er, hot and fast with my brisket tomorrow...it would be nice to not have to get cleaned up to go to church...we get out at 10 and also have a ~9lber...eating @ 6PM, yep, I'm going for it.

I smoked it at 300 degrees at the grid until it was 160. Next time I'm going to try 275 degrees at the grid to build up more smoke and bark. I may also take it up to a higher temp before I pan it. Just ideas for next time.

That is a good looking plate of food there. And how big is your backyard?

I want to say, that low and slow or hot and fast, all tools to keep handy for whatever might come your way.

That is a good looking plate of food there. And how big is your backyard?

I want to say, that low and slow or hot and fast, all tools to keep handy for whatever might come your way.

My backyard is 226 acres. Lots of space to get rid of the ashes ! :-D

what did you use for your injection? all you guy's doing hot and fast have me ready to try one - yours looks darn tasty!

Back