Kick the tires, and light the Fires! Aug 04/2007

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just got this hair brained ider.

OK now that Thousand Oaks and Silent Valley are off the calendar here in SoCal, I am going to start Jonesing for a competition way before Clovis!

We did a BackYard event in March down here in SoCal. It was a very fun time! Who is up for one between now and September 23?

We thought we might have one at the same time as the Jack, October 28th and call it the "Hack Daniels" but there is no way I can wait that long! May still do that one down here in SoCal in October.

Calling all Brethern, but mostly SoCal...Would probably happen in early August...Who is game to "Kick the tires and light the Fires" with me?
cool.gif

modify_inline.gif

OK Kick the Tires & Light the Fires is a Go! We are on for the 4th of August! It will be at CBBQA member and Brethern Chris R's house in Garden Grove. The way we did this before was pretty simple. There is NO entry fee! KCBS type rules will be used. We will decide on final meats in a very short time, but right now we are looking at Chicken, Pork Ribs, Tri-Tip and a mystery meat! We usually arive at Chris's between 7-8am, will have cooks meeting about 8:30-9am, and away we go. Will try chicken at 12 noon turn-in, tri-tip at 12:30, ribs at 1:00 and mystery meat at 1:30. Kelly will be Reping and judging. Will have awards as soon as Kelly has them entered 3-4 Pm and then we are out! If you would like to particapite as either a team or a judge, or just come and hang out, post here or send me an email, lwnna@yahoo.com.

Any chance someone could give a judging talk/class on the same day. Seems like a perfect oportunity since its kind of a fun-run...

Any chance someone could give a judging talk/class on the same day. Seems like a perfect oportunity since its kind of a fun-run...

Like Mista said, Kelly M. who will be doing the reping, or Joe M who is a Master CBJ, will give a 30 mint. rap on what to look for, about the same thing I got when I did my CBJ class...just kidding, I think my class was 45 mints!

You know Four Q will be there!!

I hate to break up the team, BUT... if things go well and escrow goes through, we might be moving into our new home that weekend.

Those of you who missed the last event at the Rocke house, ought really go this time. Good times, good folks!

OK Kick the Tires & Light the Fires is a Go! We are on for the 4th of August! It will be at CBBQA member and Brethern Chris R's house in Garden Grove. The way we did this before was pretty simple. There is NO entry fee! KCBS type rules will be used. We will decide on final meats in a very short time, but right now we are looking at Chicken, Pork Ribs, Tri-Tip and a mystery meat! We usually arive at Chris's between 7-8am, will have cooks meeting about 8:30-9am, and away we go. Will try chicken at 12 noon turn-in, tri-tip at 12:30, ribs at 1:00 and mystery meat at 1:30. Kelly will be Reping and judging. Will have awards as soon as Kelly has them entered 3-4 Pm and then we are out! If you would like to particapite as either a team or a judge, or just come and hang out, post here or send me an email, lwnna@yahoo.com.

Again I am in Bentley's debt - Thanks for the announcement Bent! Yes, it's true - Second in the Series of Backyard at the Rocke, "Kick the Tires and Light the Fires" is a go, and we're looking forward to seeing everyone! All you OC, LA, SD and Valley types are welcome to join us. I am finalizing some extended space for this event, so more teams = more fun. More details as they become available, and up course updates from our promoter and spokesman - Bentley!!!

This event will be happening on August 4th and we are still looking for teams in So Cal to participate. If you have competed before or are looking to get your feet wet, this is a great time to jump in.

The contest is free and will be help at C Rocke's house in Garden Grove, CA. Prizes will be pies, brownies, cookies and maybe a cake prepared by Bentley's sister and mother (Good Stuff!).

We will have some KCBS Master judges there so if you don't want to cook, you can judge. The will have a mini-class on judging. Again, free!

We had a ball last time and we are looking forward to a bigger and better event this time! We will be in a cul-de-sac so if you cook on a trailered smoker, you are welcome. If you cook on WSM's or UDS's, you are welcome.

Our four categories will be Chicken, ribs, tri-tip and mystery meat! Thsi will be a one day contest and we will have our cook's meeting at 8:30am, I believe.

If you have questions, you can pm me, Bentley or C Rocke, but the best place to get more details is the California BBQ Association Forum. http://www.cbbqa.org/fourm and look under the CBBQA events section.

Ok guys we are a big GO! A big thanks to Brother Chris and family for opening up their home for this event.

Teams so far
Blast Off
Notley Q
Smell my Butts
Rancho Rocke
4Q
Funtime BBQ
Burnt By The Best

We would like to see a few more, we had 7 last time, hope to have 10-12 this time! Who else is in? I know Big Brother Smoke said he might try and make it...anyother SoCA brothers in? There is no entry fee...just an XXX-whippin by me in store for you! Cost of meat and a little gas might get you a World famous Apple pie for a 1st made by my Mom!

It is a great oppertunity for new teams to get there feet wet in a KCBS style cook. Or for you experienced teams a chance to try some expermienting on CBJ's without have to pay an entry fee to do so!:eusa_clap

We have 4 CBJ's signed up to...will need some more(cbj or not)...so if you don't have the balls to cook maybe you can judge?

Single Fin is in - Got a PM from him and he will be cooking! Add him to the list.

Single Fin
Blast Off
Notley Q
Smell my Butts
Rancho Rocke
4Q
Funtime BBQ
Burnt By The Best

I have clearance from quite a few neighbors, so we do have more room this time. 12 teams is a great number, and few more might not hurt! The pool will be open in case anyone needs to cool off, and we're looking forward to hosting the group again. Get to Bentley, Big Mista, or me for any details or to let us know you're coming to cook!

Sweet!

Where are those other So Cal Q'ers?

Norcoredneck
Leanza
grillfella
grillman40
tommykendall
coachop94
soultruth
icemn62

I'm a-callin you out! Will you come participate as a competitor or a judge?

Not unless you are surfing at daybreak. We usually get to Chris's between 7-8 am. Have cooks meeting at 8:30 am and start cookin by 9!

Bentley, what are the turn in times going to be this time?

Bentley, what are the turn in times going to be this time?

Since we will have a fairly small crowd, I was thinking 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30 gives the chicken people abot 4 hours from 9-1. I am up to do a regular KCBS timeline if teams want?

Back