• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wood chunks

I am a bit of a scavenger. I have mulberry and redbud from my property. Maple and Cherry from around my neighborhood.

Mulberry - Goes well with pork, mild/med flavor. Grows all over my property, so I have a good supply of it.
Mesquite - I use mostly on chicken, sometimes pork on the weber kettle.
Silver Maple - a recent find that works great as a general purpose. I really like working with it.
Plum - haven't done much with it...not wild about it
Black Cherry - I love this stuff on pork and chicken.
Apple - I have some store bought stuff as a gift. It doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, IMO. I think it is just the wood though.

I have some redbud seasoning. I think it is close to being ready. trimmings are thumb sized and are already starting to split due to drying. Next spring I'll have to check out the brush along one property line. I think I have a small line of dogwood growing...might be smoke-able.

I love cherry on everything, and apple on chicken or pork. I have done fish on apple, too. I use hickory sometimes on beef or pork. I don't get any less common woods here, just what you can buy in bags.

I like CE scavenge my smoking wood from my neighborhood ..

Mulberry- all purpose but specializing in pork
Silver Maple- all purpose
Apple- all purpose but specializing in poultry

I go between cherry and apple on my pork.

I generally use pecan on chicken.

Beef (I rarely do briskets) I have used hickory, but generally just use combo of fruit and hickory or pecan.

As far as fruit woods go, I really like fig. it has an incredible aromatic smell, almost like vanilla. Plus I have a backyard full of fig trees so thats usually my standard for pork/poultry.

I use hickory pecan and apple. Pecan is a very mellow smoke. nice on pork and chicken. Apple is great with pork. Hickory is classic southern taste for pork. Cant go wrong with that.

My friend owns a fruit farm so I mainly use Peach, Apple, and Cherry.

My brother also brings me a load of mixed citrus from Florida when he comes up in the spring, but it doesn't last very long.

Cherry would be my favorite.

Lucky!

I like cherry and hickory on most pork and beef, I like pecan and cherry on chicken. I find apple and peach wood create too dark of a bark. I like a redder bark instead of a black bark.

I like cherry and hickory on most pork and beef, I like pecan and cherry on chicken. I find apple and peach wood create too dark of a bark. I like a redder bark instead of a black bark.

Interesting....I thought the fact it was darker was in relation to time and sugar. I suppose there is a third. Anything else that effects how dark food will get?

As far as fruit woods go, I really like fig. it has an incredible aromatic smell, almost like vanilla. Plus I have a backyard full of fig trees so thats usually my standard for pork/poultry.
I've never thought of fig before, interesting. I may have to try and find some.

one last thing I thought of, if you use a tree service, ask them if they have anything that you can get from them. Years ago I had a very large maple to take down and I'm using them again to remove some of the mulberry that is endangering my power lines. I asked them if they had small amounts of smoking wood that I could pick up somewhere. They are going to bring a hickory limb out to me when I get them to take care of my mulberries. They also said that if I need anything else, just call and they can set some outside their fence for me if I let them know I'm coming.

Back